Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that my bike wont start because of a bad bendix drive. I'm not too sure if that is what the part actually called. It is where the gear that the starter turns that cranks the bike over. If you could help me out and let me know the right name for the part and also how to remove and install the part.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In motorcycles it's normally called the sprag clutch, or starter clutch, it allows drive in one direction (when starting) and freewheels when the engine has started.

Sorry, I've never changed one on a ZX9, so I'm unsure of the procedure for that bike.

Motorcycles don't normally have a Bendix drive, cars do which is probably why your mechanic is confused, a Bendix is a device that allows the pinion gear of the starter to engage or disengage the flywheel automatically when the starter is powered.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
1. Termed a starter clutch for bikes. Works like a sprag clutch in an automatic transmission. Has the ability to lock the clutch shaft so you have reverse, but freewheels when driving forward. Same idea.

2. Though not as complex in design as the automatic's sprag, these may be the standard roller/barrel/spring style?
a. Roller sits in a cage.
b. Barrel sits in a drilled housing that pushes on the roller.
c. Spring is behind the barrel. These sometimes collapse and have no more push when the starter spins one way, this starter gear moves another way, this is where the rollers are locked onto the crank, as these 3 rollers lock and spin the crank to turn it the other way so it starts in its running direction.

Without the spring tension, she won't hold at the roller cage. So this is where you remove the stator cover, remove the rotor bolt, have the dealer pop off the rotor housing. Behind the rotor is the starter [toothed] gear inside this rotor, usually.

Sometimes the barrel ends are so worn, the spring is about to pop out the closed side that pushes on the roller. If you had the correct pitched rear or front axle off some bike, you could pop the rotor off that way too. As long as the axle has the same thread pitch as the special tool to remove it, that's the loophole. No spring showing thru the barrel that houses the spring? Reuse it. Then, stretch the springs out some so they return to the push&hold when needed.

I mean, if you are in a pinch. But if rebuilding, at least new springs, and check the spring barrels are not about to collapse and expose the spring.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not everyone wants to know Hubz version of how the world works, you didn't add anything with your post and I thInk you're just confusing the issue as usual.

He wants to know what it's called and how to replace it:banghead:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts