Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: pulled over on the side of the hyway then got back on the hyway. first gear was coming up so i short shifted to second i guess around 9 grand.went into second with a heavy feel. instantly i felt a vibration deep inside the engine. now in any gear there is a bad vibration. from 7 grand on to redline it feels like its going to come apart. the mirrors at idel are blurry now. if you rev and hold the throttle at mid rpm you can feel the hole bike vibrate. it still power wheelies and snaps to redline with a flick of the wrist. if i pull the clutch in and let off the throttle and coast the vibration is gone. i do all my own work on the bike. this zx12r is in impeckable condition. i adjust valves. the works. i did the 2000 mile brakein buy the book for a 2000 zx12r. oil has been changed with filter 9 times.6 times mobil one for bikes. 15000 miles on bike. i have checked many things. some are ,readjusted engine balancer,check kand n filers,disconected pc3r. i think i might have spun a main bearing or the engine balancer mite be bad. what do you guys think.....killer

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Doesn't sound good. Could it be a clutch basket problem? I would think a spun bearing would affect how quickly the engine revs. :idea:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hope your right

:roll: outsider, i hope your right. sounds as good a guess as any seeing how many 12r`s have clutch failures. hay all you clutch failure guys in zx12r land, what did your clutches do. .thanks for any replys...killer

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Mine just warped the steels real bad from not enough oil... I didn't explode the basket or nothing.... My bike just kept trying to pull with the clutch lever engauged...

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
You didn't spin a bearing, if you did you'd be walking instead of posting.

I think you answered your own question above, pull the clutch in let of the throttle, situation normal.

If I were you, the first thing I would do is thoroughly warm the motor up and drain the oil into a clean pan. Hopefully you won't see any major metal contamination.

Pull the clutch cover off. My guess is you're gonna find a broken basket or some really blued plates.

Good luck.

·
4,208 Posts
Blitz is dead on .....sounds like even two of your plates have siezed together........hence causing the vibration........if its outta war. get the muzzy ....they sell the complete kits with hub...... I would also flush that motor completely as to remove any shards as well as pull the pan if you can......Brian

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bummer

:( the service manager at the kawi dealer thinks my transmission main shaft is twisted. waiting to hear from kawasaki. i have the extended warranty.........killer

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
transmission main shaft twisted!!! ouch!!!! lets hope that mech doesn't know what hes sayin... :x

good luck

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
waiting

:? still waiting to here from kawasaki. the service manager of the dealer says it`s normal for kaw to take a week just to call him back. they already got their money did`nt they.....killer

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Doubtful as far as I'm concerned (assuming you did exactly as you said above).

There are dozens of guys that put their 12's through a whole lot more abuse every weekend than you did that one time, and I've never heard of a mainshaft tweaking.

Think about it, we've got guys running Nox, air shifters, etc.. that drag race on a regular basis. I'm talking repetitive close to redline speedshifts.

After re-reading your original post, I made some assumptions originally that I want to make sure I understand correctly.

When you say first was coming up, do you mean coming up to the point where you wanted to shift to second? And secondly, what is your definition of a short-shift? Short-shift in my circles is normally hard parts to shorten the shift pattern spread (i.e: less of a tug or push on the lever), I assumed you meant a speed shift, using the clutch NOT clutchless.

I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the circumstances.

- Blitz

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I doubt whether you twisted a output or inputshaft, sounds to me like the basket is damged.

Blitz. short shift to means to shift earlier at lower rpm to keep it from wheelieing anymore..

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
zxlnt, yes agreed.

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't misunderstand the circumstances.

Not knowing the age of some posters, ya gotta sometimes ask to make sure the terminology isn't getting mixed up.

I.e; the next time you see a lowered Honda with a coffee can exhaust, ask the driver what a short-shift is. Guarantee he is gonna say its the 1/4'' throw he's got between gears.

Just want to make sure I don't say something assuming that the poster is my age.

- Blitz

·
Registered
158 Posts
zx12mark if you can adjust your own valves I know you can pull the clutch apart and inspect it. I had a similar problem with my 12, it vibrated and ran like crap, I thought it was all kinds of things, when I replaced the clutch all my problems were over. The plates were fried to a nice deep blue color and I run the bike pretty hard, change the oil every 1500 hundred and run motul syn. The clutch in these bikes suck and will fail know matter how you treat them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts