Kawasaki World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had my 1996 ZX9R stored for over a year, did not turn off the fuel while in storage and it wouldn't start, I replaced the battery and it started. It has probably been a month since I replaced the battery and I have not had a chance to ride it since. So, tonight me and my husband are going to go for a ride and it wont start, battery is almost dead. I put it on the turtle charge and try to start it again after a while. It acted like it was going to start, and did for a few seconds, the choke was on and I tried not to give it too much gas, but I guess I could have flooded it. My husband messed with the fuel switch and had it off for a while and I didn't know so I was trying to start it with the fuel off. I turned it back on and I tried starting it again and this time it back fired. The battery was getting low again so I put it on the charger and came back about an hour and a half later and it back fired again.

I have had this bike for years, I haven't been able to ride it much lately, but have ridden in lots in the past, and it has never back fired on me and even if it has given me trouble starting after sitting for a while, I have always been able to get it to start eventually.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
679 Posts
if you didn't turn off the petcock i would think the ethanol in the fuel gunked up the carbs and potentially messed up the floats making it flood the bike filling one or more of the cylinders full of fuel i would pull the plugs and then turn it over a few times to make sure if the plugs are wet that's a sign and expect gas to come flying out of the spark plug holes

once it dries clean and dry the plugs reinstall and give it a go it should run maybe a bit on the crappy side but run it should

1 - 3 of 3 Posts