Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....Only intermittently, after about an half hour riding, electrics still on, but dies down and won't rev while doing so. When stopped will wait very short while then will start again and run without problems.

Happened 3 x on ride last weekend, along with FI light showing for only a second or two, then bike would pick up again (2 second stumble, like hitting the kill switch for short while). Tested the fault indicator wire - showed Water Temperature Sensor fault but nothing else! Bike does not seem to be overheating at this stage, good quality fuel, running very smoothly otherwise.

When it happened today the FI light did not come on, was cruising at 100kmh/60mph, bike dies down, not throttle/revving, stopped on side of road, waited 10 seconds, then started again no problems. Wondering if a fuel delivery problem? Have started taking fairings off etc, to check fuel system, but thought I'd ask here first for any possible tips (have read some old posts on fuel return hose etc,).

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mauser, I've thought of that too, don't think so though as the bike rides well with no revving problems before or after the episodes. I even coasted along at 100kmh, pulled clutch in and held steady 12k rev with no problem a couple of times. However I will be checking everything I can!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Air, spark, fuel. Fuel pump is my guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
If it's filter, you can buy this from Suzuki as a direct fit

Otherwise, I'll be driving past on Tuesday, remove motor from bike and I'll put it in the back of my car

·
Registered
276 Posts
Any starting/charging issues? How many miles on bike? Kickstand switch?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike has just had replacement stator (3rd one!), done 89k kms, 20k on built motor. Starts well now. Good points regarding fuel filter.
Steve, you're a cheeky bugga!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Power Commander? I thought my power commander had died, turned out it was the tail fuse that had gone. So, if the fuse, or wiring to the fuse, or wiring to the PC harness is damaged causing loss of power to the PC the bike gets no fuel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a VW bug in high school that would run great for a time then out of nowhere, die and not start. After being stranded countless times, I took the gas tank off and drained it. I found a little foil cap that covers a bottle of carb cleaner or other fuel additive. Someone had squeezed that into the tank and it would randomly cover the fuel line inlet and block it. I would check for fuel blockage first without beating your head on the wall too much.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I intend to look at the fuel side first. The PC3 USB is working well, the problem is only very intermittent and lasts a very short time - so maybe an occasional fuel blockage?

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
It's unlikely, but you could have a bad water temp sensor and was only bad enough that the bike saw it once. Sometimes a sensor can be just putting out the wrong voltage and the ecu doesn't know it's a problem. The water temp sensor can swing the fueling a huge amount if it's showing hot or cold. Just something to consider since it did throw that code once.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update; Bike & I are on riding terms again.

Took tank off, removed fuel pump, cleaned the sock filter as per manual, had some sediment in it. Checked that fuel return hose not blocked, it wasn't. Saw a small amount of sediment/floaters in the tank so cleaned it out. Replaced all, went for 182km/114mile ride today, started well, ran very well, no issues.

IF it happens again I will move on to getting a replacement inline filter as per SteveW's Suzuki filter suggestion. I will do one change at a time if/as problems present, so hopefully I find out the main culprit! If so, I may take throttle/carb bank off with injectors and check them.

Don.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don* Glad to read you have the bike running again...
SteweW* -Thanks for the info about the Suzuki fuel filter

/Tom

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Henry, unfortunately not properly, I don't have an air compressor, or proper means to do a flush, really need to get one. Bad excuse for not doing a job properly I know.
Unless you have a better method. At this stage the bike is running well, so maybe what I did was enough. BUT I am prepared to go further as necessary.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Henry, unfortunately not properly, I don't have an air compressor, or proper means to do a flush, really need to get one. Bad excuse for not doing a job properly I know.
Unless you have a better method. At this stage the bike is running well, so maybe what I did was enough. BUT I am prepared to go further as necessary.
Nope, Scott’s trick of back flushing(spraying) with carb cleaner has worked for me. No compressor needed...lol
Glad it up and running 👍

cmg

·
Registered
186 Posts
I hope that corrects your problem, but I highly doubt it. If nothing is clogging the fuel pump, fuel line, or fuel tank outlet, I would highly suspect you have a fuel pump going south.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts