Kawasaki World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a first timer here. I have a 93 Kawi ZX11 and when I disengage the clutch the bike lurches forward and stalls. I've changed out the piston, spring, and seal on the slave cylinder and bled the clutch and it still happens. I checked the hose, no leaks. I checked the kickstand kill switch and that seems to be working properly. It's been a month now and I'm having anxiety moments from not being able to ride. I can't think of anything else that could cause this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The plates are stuck together. Has the bike been sitting? Low miles and not ridden much? The oil begins to hold on to the steel plate. Frictions are direct lock to the crank. Steels are direct lock to the rear wheel [when in gear] call it.

So when you pull the clutch in, the plates separate all except 1 steel to 1 friction is all you need to stall the bike, grind gears, cause the bike to creep with clutch in, hard to find N.

Like a deck of cards, shift all the frictions and steels to different areas than where it sits now. Note how all the cut sides of the steels and frictions: face you on disassembly. Reinstall the frictions and steels the same way by looking at the cut sides of the steels, and the markings if any on the friction plates. If no marks, find the round side or the most flat side of the friction and face that flat side facing you too.

So, shuffle and proper facing plate install is how you remove that one plate hanging up. If you want, you can clean the steels with brake clean and dip them in fresh oil upon assembly.

The other thing is stack the steels alone on you palm. Look for any air gap between steels. If that is the case? If that is the case = All new steels and all new frictions ~ Don't ask or I'll school you on palm friction.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The clutch break vs brake:

1. I start bike.
2. I run with my feet so the bike begins to move.
3. I have lots of room and I never let the clutch out once I run and stab the lever to 1st.
4. I rev the engine and the bike takes off I have the clutch lever in.
5. I now step on the rear brake so as to un-stick a friction to a steel.
6. I begin to load the throttle and load the back brake even more so I cause the clutch to break loose, I still have the clutch lever still at the rubber grip, I never let it out since stabbing the bike into 1st.
7. I try this a few times and if it does not work; I remove all the plates and shuffle them; AFTER palm checking the static sitting; of both sets of plates; that my arm raises as I spin the pack; I look for gaps; I steady my palm to my eye level; then shuffle the top and bottom plates so they sit static [somewhere in the middle] to check those too.
8. I think I better read this over again, because it's Hub I'm reading. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the helpful info. I'm not that mechanically inclined to remove clutch plates, but I do feel better knowing that it could be another reason for the continued stalling. I'll let a mechanic friend of mine do the honors. Thanks again.:clap:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts