Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup guys!

My zx7 has been sitting in a garage for about a year and I finally managed to make it start! At first it was running good with the choke on and then after about 10minutes when i removed the choke it stalled... i try to start it again and it was backfiring like crazy until it started again and now it was puffing white smoke like crazy... could it be flooded? what could have caused that to happen??

Here is a quick video on what the bike does:

Another problem that i have that might be related is i have 2 hoes missing unplugged and i really have no clue where they could go:banghead: the second picture is on the side of the airbox

If someone could help it would be really appreciated!
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Clean the carbs and put a vaccuum cap on the tit on the motor. The one in the airbox ain't a big deal and might be a drain...problem solved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks bro will do!! :thumbup: can i clean it myself or i gotta send it to someone that will disemble it completely ??

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Dude....that white smoke could mean a blown head gasket too. I just watched your video. It's burning water.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You can do the carbs yourself if your mechanical. Just take them off the bike and flip them over and pull the bowls off and clean it all up real good. Take the jets out and clean them. Check the floats and make sure they ain't sinking.

The carbs could have water in them, in the float bowls, and that could be the water you're burning too...

Start with the carbs before we jump to head gasket...I just wanted to let you know worst case...

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Oh..and get new bowl gaskets too....otherwise they most likely will leak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i taught about a head gasket too but i hope not loll :p il start with the carbs thanks again i will let you know once everything is done!!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Your first thread sounded like blow by to me...
I'd put my money on a head gasket..

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
How good (or bad) was your antifreeze? Did you test it? How cold does it get where you are? Were you running straight water?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Its not that cold its about 15 degree celcius outside.. Yes im running straight water just to test start the bike! Like i said im used to cars and i know running water doesnt matter as long as it doesnt freeze... I guess it was a bad idea ? Thx for the help and even tough i try to start it again it will just backfire like crazy and end up in stalling again

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Okay. Here is what you need to tackle in order:

1) Do a compression check. If your head gasket is blown or you have a cracked head that will tell you in 15 minutes.
2) Bad gas will make a bike run like crap all day long
3) A battery can have enough juice to start a bike but with HEI not enough juice to supply the ignition with what it needs - especially at lower RPM's.

Start with the battery. Make sure it is good and make sure it is fully charged. Thats the first and easiest step.

If you do that and no cigar, clean the tank out and put in fresh gas.

We'll go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tank was already empty so its new gas inside the tank... I charged the battery a whole night before putting it in the bike and its 2 years
Old.. I would need a voltmeter to make sure its good.. And for the compression test, in my manual it says between 145-220 psi per cylinder, but thats a hot reading! What about if the engine is cold?? Il do the test tomorow il borrow the test from one of my buddies!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You can start with a leak down test and you can do it cold if you have to.

Put the compression tester in cylinder #1 and crank it over with the kill switch on to build up compression.

If you have a cracked head or head gasket you will see the compression drop rapidly.

Repeat for the other 3 cylinders in order (in order is easier to keep track of which ones you've done).

That being said, I just watched your video and when your camera shows the sunlight in the doorway, that looks like oil smoke to me, not condensation.

If you have a blown head gasket it is very easy to distinguish. Burning antifreeze has a very distinct sweet smell. Since you said you only have water in it, there is no way the condensed water would still be lingering in the doorway like that.

If that is kilometers that bike has like 55K miles on it which is a lot. Not trying to be critical of your bike, but it looks like those have been 55K hard miles. ;-)

I think you are just looking at a worn engine. You can try running it for a while and see if it clears up. If it is either worn rings/cylinders or valve seats the compression test is gonna tell the story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts