Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Keep in mind men that the 00 and 01 clamps are different and these will not cover all years unless two different sets are designed. The 00 and 01 takes a small top stem bearing and the rest are like the 14 and take the same bearing top and bottom.. Of course the offset is different as well but you are altering that anyway.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm needing set 01 12, price?
Working on the program and turn for the first set will have details soon for cost more sets better price ,these will be true derake not zx14 tubes pulled back .I bought a set was not happy with the fit lost steering..these will need clipons no key holder.will post updates cha cat and myself are in who else.

·
Registered
480 Posts
ZX 14 trees WILL NOT work on 2000 or 2001 model 12R. They will work on 2002 and up or a 10R all years.. Top bearing on the "A" model 12R's are small like the ZX9R and older model Kawasaki Sport Bikes. The redesign that took place after 2001 after Kawasaki decided their focus was no longer top speed incorporated the change to larger neck bearings. You can't change the neck to accept the larger top bearing without a very complicated amount of machine work and welding. I have a very expensive set of SP12R adjustable yokes that were manufactured for a 2002 and up model that I looked at and examined every possible option to make them fit before finally machining a new stem and a few more bushings to make them fit the A model neck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
,these will be true derake not zx14 tubes pulled back .

Changing the offset does NOT change the rake just to be clear on what is being discussed here. Changing the rake requires changing the angle of the stem in relation to the 90 degree right angle it attaches to the yokes on currently. Some custom choppers have raked trees where the stem exits the yoke at some angle different that a true 90 degree angle I have NEVER seen this done on a sportbike. However I have seen the rake made adjustable on a sportbike but that requires the neck to be made very large with inserts that alter the stem angle within the neck itself. Instead of the inserts being simply eccentric they are also machined at angles different that 90 degree making the rake altered. Attack Performance done this with their CRT entry. I have attached a link that shows just how HUGE the neck area is to allow for this to happen. There are better pictures around the internet if you care to look for them I just posted this one to help explain my post. I would like to do it on a 12R frame just to say I did it and display my ability to do so. I highly doubt I would ever alter the thing from where the factory set it up. Simple truth is there's not enough traction on the street to ever notice a change and a street rider can't choose a race line that would allow them to repeat the same line over and over to note the differences changes like this would have on the chassis. Attack Performance CRT Racing Project Picture 3 of 11 - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
394 Posts
ZX 14 trees WILL NOT work on 2000 or 2001 model 12R. They will work on 2002 and up or a 10R all years.. Top bearing on the "A" model 12R's are small like the ZX9R and older model Kawasaki Sport Bikes. The redesign that took place after 2001 after Kawasaki decided their focus was no longer top speed incorporated the change to larger neck bearings. You can't change the neck to accept the larger top bearing without a very complicated amount of machine work and welding. I have a very expensive set of SP12R adjustable yokes that were manufactured for a 2002 and up model that I looked at and examined every possible option to make them fit before finally machining a new stem and a few more bushings to make them fit the A model neck.
Was going to mod the shaft to fit a 2001 12 didnt like the way it moved the forks back so im trying have a few sets made up

·
Registered
394 Posts
Turbo, you just need to press the two stems out and press the A1 stem into the 14 lower.

cmg

Ps. Not sure if that was covered for you in another thread. Pardon any redundancy.
This was a rpm tripple tree for a 14 with 1" moved back forks. stem is diff size than the 12 and 14 at the bottom tree. Would have to make a new stem no big deal,but was not happy to run this set up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Turbo, you just need to press the two stems out and press the A1 stem into the 14 lower.

cmg

Ps. Not sure if that was covered for you in another thread. Pardon any redundancy.
If you can press out an A model stem please show me the end result. Since Kawasaki must be very concerned about these coming apart they make them where they won't press apart. The way they do this is by installing a steel wedding band (round steel wire) into a groove on the bottom side and then they somehow crimp the lower yoke around the stem and the band. How do I know this right? Simple I took one apart a couple of years back when I was trying to figure out how to use a ZX14 tree on an A model frame... after cracking the lower yoke in the press I moved over to the band saw and cut the thing free. I got the stem out because I'll not be beat by a piece of metal ever but it's not a simple press job. Aftermarket trees often times use a press fit stem and that can be handled easy enough. but once you get past the lower problem the top tree on the 14 has a much larger hole than the A model 12R yoke which will require a bushing to be made simple enough but still needs to be made. I hate to piss on the party but these are all problems that have to be addressed. Hell that's simple compared to the one's I had to make work the stem threads into eccentric inserts and I still had to tackle the top bushing.. It can all be done if you want it bad enough.. But you'll not press the yoke out of an A model yoke without busting it Kawasaki seen to that.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If you can press out an A model stem please show me the end result. Since Kawasaki must be very concerned about these coming apart they make them where they won't press apart. The way they do this is by installing a steel wedding band (round steel wire) into a groove on the bottom side and then they somehow crimp the lower yoke around the stem and the band. How do I know this right? Simple I took one apart a couple of years back when I was trying to figure out how to use a ZX14 tree on an A model frame... after cracking the lower yoke in the press I moved over to the band saw and cut the thing free. I got the stem out because I'll not be beat by a piece of metal ever but it's not a simple press job. Aftermarket trees often times use a press fit stem and that can be handled easy enough. but once you get past the lower problem the top tree on the 14 has a much larger hole than the A model 12R yoke which will require a bushing to be made simple enough but still needs to be made. I hate to piss on the party but these are all problems that have to be addressed. Hell that's simple compared to the one's I had to make work the stem threads into eccentric inserts and I still had to tackle the top bushing.. It can all be done if you want it bad enough.. But you'll not press the yoke out of an A model yoke without busting it Kawasaki seen to that.
I did not hav any problems pressing either stem out. Pressing the A1 stem into the lower 14 triple was without incident. I will disassemble my front end and examine for any issues. We thought the ring was a stop. It only allows you to press the stem so far. Others hav done the same swap.
I actually hav somewhere around here the stem drawing you circulated awhile back. I will try and locate it. Thanks.

cmg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts