Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here have one of these systems on their 12R?

I've been looking for a full exhaust system for a little while now for my 01' ZX-12R. Yes, I'm still running with the stock exhaust after 19yrs of ownership. I wanted to get an Akrapovic system but unfortunately the bike is just too old and they no longer make them. Did some searching and found these Black Widow exhausts on Ebay. Found their site https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk . I gotta say, after researching reviews, they look and sound really nice, especially at that price! A good selection of models/styles to boot. Now it does say they recommend using stock ECU settings as that's the way these pipes were engineered. That's good with me. I'm just looking for a little weight savings, sound and style.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

Kinda wish I had bought the Black Widow exhaust system. The price of a Yoshi RS3 end can is about the same as a complete Black Widow exhaust system... No real world facts to back this up, but I think the Black Widow exhaust system vs. stock pipe with a Yoshi can the power will be the same, only difference will probably be the sound track.. and you'll probably will cut some weight with the Black Widow system...

/Tom >:)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You have chosen....Well...

I prefer the full length mufflers anyway, just my thoughts.

Will be interesting to read of your thoughts on the system once tried out.

I have a full Ti Akrapovic, so not looking for a system, but always interested in what others do to their 12's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope all are doing well in these crazy times!

So I'm about to finally install this exhaust.

My question is what is the torque spec of the exhaust pipe manifold mounting nuts? Can't find it in the service manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I torqued the nuts to 12 ft-lb. Found that spec in a Kawa ZX6-R forum. Exhaust has not fallen off. I will re torque the nuts later on.

/Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I torqued the nuts to 12 ft-lb. Found that spec in a Kawa ZX6-R forum. Exhaust has not fallen off. I will re torque the nuts later on.
Thanks Tom.

This is my first attempt at an exhaust replacement so I want to make sure I have all the info I need.

Just finished oil/filter change, new front EBC XC rotor upgrade, and fork oil change. Now for the exhaust system and coolant flush.

Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here are the ports and old and new gaskets.
Port 1:

Port 2:

Port 3:

Port 4:

Gaskets. Should I use the new ones(silver one) that came with the exhaust or order the OEM (copper one)? They are quite different but mind you there's also a 19 year gap of age and technology difference. I'm leaning towards using the newer ones. They look like good quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used the copper ones. Reason was only type of gasket the bike store had. Both of the gaskets are crush gaskets. Both will work fine. Most important is clean surfaces, don't over torque or mount the exhaust flanges crooked when tightening. After riding the bike for a few times, give the nuts a little "nip" to check that they did not come loose due to heat.

/Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used the copper ones. Reason was only type of gasket the bike store had. Both of the gaskets are crush gaskets. Both will work fine. Most important is clean surfaces, don't over torque or mount the exhaust flanges crooked when tightening. After riding the bike for a few times, give the nuts a little "nip" to check that they did not come loose due to heat.
Thanks Tom. Did you use something just to keep the gaskets in place while fitting the pipe? Like a bit of grease?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cheers!

-Yes, I did put a little grease on the copper gaskets so they would not fall out. Worked out well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. The exhaust is done! It was a bit of work but I took my time and all is good. No leaks either.

Sounds great!

The only thing I'm a little worried about is how close the header comes to the rad. It's like maybe 5mm in front of it. Should I be worried about it or do you think it can take the heat?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would not worry to much about the pipes.. well as long as they don't hit the radiator, that would suck something major... That end can looks so looooooong even though it is probably the same length as the stock can, but the Widow one seems to be much smaller in diameter...

/Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya I just installed a washer to the radiator mounting bracket which added another 5mm of spacing between the two. Stock can is 522mm long and the Widow can is 400mm. Definitely shorter but ya because of the smaller diameter it looks long. I also shaved off 18 pounds of weight with this new system. Crazy the stock system was just over 28 pounds!

·
Registered
208 Posts
18 pounds weight savings??????? -Damn... That right there made me seriously think about buying one for my bike. Pissed at myself now for spending money on the Yoshi end can, the Yoshi price tag is the same as the complete Black Widow exhaust system.. -Ooh well, live, pay and learn....

-What kind of noise does it make?

/Tom

"Edit" - Looks like you can buy just the headers with the OEM end can flange... Think I might just do that....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts