Kawasaki World banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Loving the blue 12 these days! Your exhaust looks like high quality. 4 into 1 should make excellent top end power. Very very clean?
And I agree with Tom. Header by the rad will be fine.

cmg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Update. The exhaust is done! It was a bit of work but I took my time and all is good. No leaks either.

Sounds great!

View attachment 16437

View attachment 16438

View attachment 16439

View attachment 16440

View attachment 16441

The only thing I'm a little worried about is how close the header comes to the rad. It's like maybe 5mm in front of it. Should I be worried about it or do you think it can take the heat?

View attachment 16442

Hey Viper,

Just curious, did your 12 develop an idle hunting problem after installing that exhaust? I lucked out and found a mint akrapovic full stainless exhaust on ebay for my 12 years ago, but prior to that I had a full muzzy stainless system. The bike would hunt for the idle quite a bit with the muzzy and it's nice and smooth with the akra. I've noticed the more expensive exhaust manufacturers like akra, yoshi, arata, etc etc have very small link pipes in between certain head pipes on our bikes. I can only assume that since the muzzy didn't have that, that ot caused the big idle flucuation. Was curious to see if the black widow did the same since there's no small links in between the headers.

Bike looks great by the way!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey Viper,

Just curious, did your 12 develop an idle hunting problem after installing that exhaust? I lucked out and found a mint akrapovic full stainless exhaust on ebay for my 12 years ago, but prior to that I had a full muzzy stainless system. The bike would hunt for the idle quite a bit with the muzzy and it's nice and smooth with the akra. I've noticed the more expensive exhaust manufacturers like akra, yoshi, arata, etc etc have very small link pipes in between certain head pipes on our bikes. I can only assume that since the muzzy didn't have that, that ot caused the big idle flucuation. Was curious to see if the black widow did the same since there's no small links in between the headers.

Thanks krivis!

To be honest I haven't been out for ride on it yet since installing the exhaust and completing the rest of the work that I've done on it. Weather has been the shits(cold and rainy) the last few days.

The times I have started it, it's acted the same as stock as far as idling goes. Even with stock there was always a slight idle hunt after a cold start. After a brief ride, it would tend to smooth out. I haven't done that ride yet. When I do, I'll inform you. BTW, there are no header links on either the stock nor the Black Widow systems.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hey Viper,

FYI, when I had my '05 12, I had a full Muzzy and my dyno tuner was able to tune her with almost no (it wasn't noticeable at all) flat-spot and no RPM fluctuation. So, it is possible to work around it, but I would think only a dyno tuner with a sniffer (or maybe an autotune) can get around it.

If anyone wants that tune, I have it saved.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The idle hunt is from a few things, but I suspect the Muzzy did not have a divider in the collector. That causes some of the gasses to move back into the combustion chamber. If that is wide open, it will cause the lope.

I have had a couple of supercharged (roots) cars I built that had the same "hunt" and that is from vacuum of the rotors turning.

It's the same basic concept on exhaust.

I would think the Muzzy would have made great top end power at the cost of low end idle quality. That doesn't make for a great street pipe, but it sure does if you are racing wide open.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm very interested in this system, how does it sound?
It sounds great! After 19yrs of ownership I actually went from stock to this system so I really can't compare to any other aftermarket. To me, it's completely changed! Not to mention the loss ~18lbs of weight which was a bonus.

I'll try and do a recording but I don't have a real good mic to truly capture the growl. ;-)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just installed a Hindle on mine, as I was afraid to try one of the Ebay deals BUT looking at your pics...............that looks like a fine exhaust.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts