Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here at SDR/CMG-North there's also a project to be done. Not starting right away as theres lots of other stuff on the go with my bikes, and other turbo 12 stuff for others, but this one needs a motor also.

It had the akra pipe I have listed in the classifieds. I'll use a stocker with a yosh slip on to get it going unless someone wants to buy it turbocharged for a bit more.
20200222_150603.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,282 Posts
You 2 guys have too many bikes!

Btw, My brother just sold his 06 ZX12 here in Australia and moved to Toronto for work.. Know of any good cheap deals going?

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You 2 guys have too many bikes!

Btw, My brother just sold his 06 ZX12 here in Australia and moved to Toronto for work.. Know of any good cheap deals going?
this one will be for sale as soon as I rebuild a motor for it out of some of my spare parts.

depending on traffic and weather, Im a 2-3 hr drive from Toronto.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL.....these blue B models are growing on me!!!! Any pictures of what happens when you run the oil level to low?

cmg
Safe to say none of this will be being used in the bike again lol. Poor thing just wanted a full oil pan!
20200216_103740.jpg

·
Registered
473 Posts
nice bike scott. i like the blue thinking about using the kawi blue on my old ford truck

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer the A model blue over this darker shade, buts its still pretty nice!

As luck would have it, Im doing a project for a friend thats getting a big upgrade to his bike. Im popping out his stock motor for my blue bike, and doing a 500 hp turbo build for him. intercooled frame, gt3076 etc etc. SoIill have this one fired up likely before my black bike thats currently waiting on a custom hg to show up.

hopefully it will sell quickly. surely its just about done snowing for this yr lol

·
Super Moderator
1,282 Posts
I prefer the A model blue over this darker shade, buts its still pretty nice!

As luck would have it, Im doing a project for a friend thats getting a big upgrade to his bike. Im popping out his stock motor for my blue bike, and doing a 500 hp turbo build for him. intercooled frame, gt3076 etc etc. SoIill have this one fired up likely before my black bike thats currently waiting on a custom hg to show up.

hopefully it will sell quickly. surely its just about done snowing for this yr lol
I'll get on to my brother and see if he's made up his mind..

Reactions: KZScott

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting ready to pop the old motor out and see what's salvageable. So far the clutch looks good, and the bike has a set of K&Ns. Going to clean them and grease the sides when they go back in.
20200304_215714.jpg
20200304_220620.jpg

Reactions: color me gone

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill try and find a name on it. its carbon, quite nice

·
Registered
2,762 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Debotech makes nice shit. Had a bunch on former bike & all was top notch.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, after a bit of a learning curve it lives! it was my first time dealing with the 04 05 electronics and there are a few things to remember when swapping in an earlier gen motor.

#1 that small coolant line by the stat has to be the 04 05 style to use 04 05 TBS! if you try to use the regular 00-03 nipple style you wont be able to open the throttle. it has to be the banjo bolt style thats low profile. luckily i caught this before it was all bolted up and it wasnt a huge deal to pop the tbs out and change the nipple to a banjo.

#2 the speed sensor wires are no longer part of the engine harness. they are incorporated into the GPS wiring. so you will need to deal with those little phillips screws that like to strip out and swap in the 04 05 gps. if you get in a rush and miss that like i did, the easiest way to fix it, is to unpin all of the wires from the large connector under the gas tank so that the harness can easily pass through. I have a little snap on depinner that makes this really slick, but a tiny flat head screwdriver will work in a pinch.

#3 the big one. much easier to do this out of the bike than in lol. the cam trigger wheel/rotor on the 04 05 has reverted back to the original 00 location. so 00 and 04 05 have the same location, and 01-03 have a different location. this gave me a chance to check valve lash while i was in there, so sort of a good thing this happened. if you try running the 01-03 exh cam with the rotor in its factory location, the timing will be way off, super late and just sort of sputter and put some fire out the exh. reindexing the rotor to the 00 04 05 location put the timing back where it should be.

#4 i think this is common knowledge, but you have to use the 04 05 24-1 crank trigger wheel with the 04 05 ecu. the 8 tooth wheel only works on 00-03. strange that the crank and cam wheels dont follow a pattern.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the 05 clutch in this 03 motor as it was in better shape. i also did the oiling modifications to the hub while it was apart.

the rear tire is shot, so i ordered a 190 55 avon av80 3d ultra sport.

also ordered up a new battery and a battery tender jr that will go with the bike. I opted for the 240cca yuasa ytx14h-bs instead of the stock ytx14-bs. Ive always liked running a battery that was overkill

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New rear tire mounted and balanced. New battery installed with tender wire. Almost ready to go make 2 or 3 dyno pulls to see how it runs and get a safety. (Ps that cotter pin is being replaced It's sticking out as a reminder )

Attachments

Reactions: SteveW

·
Registered
297 Posts
That is looking real nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts