Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Friends

The players in Sunday's Central Florida Bogus Ride were TLS1000 Steve, GSXR1000 Darin, 929 Mike, FZ-1 Zane, and yours truly on the Hindle equipped red '02 Twelve. A good mix of bikes from the Japanese Big Four: Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki. All of the riders are seasoned veterans, so I assumed that there would be no "incidents" on the half-day ride. (What's that they say about making assumptions?)

The ride plan today was to head east from Bradenton on the Gulf Coast to the center of the state, then ride north, and then back west to coast.......sort of a big U shaped ride route. I had been out exploring last Sunday by myself to fill in the blanks on the northward leg of the route with some new roads. The goal was to link up a couple of large orange groves in the middle of the state and ride them both on one ride. When it was all said and done, after starting out at 8:30, I was back home a little after 2:00 with 281 miles on tripometer. For you Florida readers, we connected up the dots on Zolfo Springs, Sebring, Avon Park, Frostproof, Alturas, Bradley, and Duette.

Early on in the ride, we had just cleared the last of the speed limit signs near town and were travelling down a county road. I had just brought my speed up to about 80 mph when I noticed an animal crossing the road a ways ahead. A squirrel. He did a couple of zig zags on the road, then noticed my headlight approaching and froze, in typical squirrel fashion. Now this squirrel brain concept of freezing to blend in the backgroung to avoid predators may work just fine in the greenery, but not when you've got five sportbikes bearing down on you on the public right of way. Because the gap was closing rapidly, one of us (me or the squirrel) had to blink first. It was me. After a split second to decide, I hit the brakes hard, determined not to hit that doggone rodent. The rest of the group behind be had not raised their speed yet, so I was not concerned about getting rear ended. The 6 front brake pads clamped on the front rotor, my fork springs compressed big time, and the front tire started howling. The squirrel remained unphased in the middle of the road.

More later..........

Bogus Dave

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
i hit an armadillo on my bike one time!!!!!! :shock:

lucky i had the front wheel up a little or it woulda spilt me bad!!!!

when chapter 2?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the Tampa Crashers List

Bogus Dave comments:

>Zane, your FZ1 is an impressive combination of good looks, comfort, handling, and power. Plus, you seem to be riding with more confidence each time out with the group.

>Dave

In a message dated Sun, 6 Oct 2002 7:48: FZ-1 Zane writes:

> YEA, That was fun, ........... I especially like riding behind Dave and watching him enjoy the wildlife dart in front of him every time he was in the lead. I have to say I have never ridden with a bunch of riders that are more fun and fast AND safe as you guys. Thanks for the invite. ZANE
>

·
Registered
15 Posts
bogus sunday ride report

Dave,

Glad to see your reports are back on. I wish I had more time to ride like you do. Thanks again for all the great storeis, keep them coming!!!

Dave

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Dave -- spill the beans.

Man, can we all chip in to get him some dictation software or a college student to type this in at one time for him....I can't wait to hear the end....

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Alright brother Dave....it's BAM near midnight and as always..ya left me hung out to dry. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good to have ya back man.... :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
That is it. I can't stay up for another beer while waiting. I will be looking for the rest of the squirrel report.
Keep them coming Dave.
Glad your back.

Waiting somewhat patiently.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Alright Dave...I am planning a trip to Florida in March. If we hook up for a famous ride, could ya promise to get the report out by June??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
If I haven't met Dave on one of his Sunday Rides. (I enjoyed the hell out of it and Dave's a nice fellow) I would say waiting for his reports where just plain BOGUS!! :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts