Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to give their opinion as to which front brake pads work better: the EBC-HH or the stock Kawasaki pads?

Or maybe there's another, better option - like a carbon or kevlar pad?

It's time to change the pads on my 02 and I'm thinking of sticking with OEM, but I have heard good things about EBC - although I'm also told they chew up discs quite quickly.

Can anyone out there give me some feedback/recommendations as to which pads to go for.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

12Rider
Sydney, Australia

·
Registered
650 Posts
i would go with the EBC HH I have them and they are freakin` great, the stock ones suck compaired to those :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
ohh.. as for the disks mine still look brand new..

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I'm going to try the Vesrah RJL race pads..... Let you know when I get them....

·
Registered
690 Posts
pads

I have the HH's on mine now.The only thing I don't like is the rear's loud squealing.Braking is stronger with the HH's,and I like the "buzz" sound when on the front brake.

Jeff

·
Registered
116 Posts
HH Pads

I love the EBC HH pads. Be sure to use the GFA-HH for the stock rotors rather than the FA-HH. the FA's are for the EBC carbon steel rotors while the GFA's are for stock stainless rotors.

Carbon steel is harder than stainless, so the FA sintered pads will chew through a stainless rotor faster than the GFA sintered pads.

My $.02

BTW, generally you have to get the GFA's from a shop that sells to racers.

-j

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
jmbrenner is right. After studying my brake dilema after the July accident, it was determined that I had the wrong EBC sintered pads. I had the FA-HH pads. They were only on for a week so I couldn't tell you if they were wearing the rotors down but it did slightly warp them after they heated up while trying to scrub off some high speed. Then the front locked.......BAM!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
HH

I don't remember which HH's I have.Better look into that. My rotors were already a little warped before I put 'em on,so I don't know if they harmed my rotors.

Jeff

·
Registered
690 Posts
pads

Yep,mine are the FA's,and my rotors are f'd.I have one good stock rotor already, so this time around I may as well just buy another stocker and throw on some less aggressive pads so they'll last more than a year.The stockers were plenty strong enough.It's a shame I have new FA's on there now. :x

jeff

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EBC GFA PADS

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going with a set of EBC GFA HH pads - the race version of the usual FA HH pad - on my Black 02.

jmbrenner, you posted that you are running these - do you find they are OK for the road as well as the track? I have been told by some racers that they may not perform as well on the road as the temperatures won't be high enough.

Anyone else got experience of the GFA pads as opposed to the FA ones?

I'll be sure to posat my experience when I put them on in a few days tims.

12rider
Sydney, Australia

·
Registered
116 Posts
GFA's

The pads work fine for the road. I think the "heating up" thing is BS - at least in the dry. I don't have many rain miles on them so I can't speak to that. Perhaps his were contaminated or sumthin. I had a set of FA HH's that I ran on my TL1000 which sucked due to contamination.

The only drawback to the HH's I've had is that they're kinda noisy. They make a real scrapy sound when you're on them, and they sound like they're dragging when you're not. They're not dragging, of course, but it sounds that way.

Just in case you haven't, I also heartily recommend using teflon/steel brake lines. IMHO, they're more important than the pads. Kevlar is OK, but steel feels better - stock rubber really sucks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EBC's GFA-HH pads

Thanks jmbrenner - yes I have Goodridge S/S lines on the front. Awesome difference even with stock pads. I'll post back my impressions of the race compound GFA-HH pads when I've tried them. Cheers - and thanks to everyone else for the info.
12rider
Sydney, Australia
P.S. Vancouver is da bomb! I spent a few months there about 8 years ago and loved the place - and the people were way cool too. Very like Sydney . . . only a f**k of a lot colder!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts