Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, So back in July I decided to take the plunge on putting a turbo on my 12. My bike was in need of a few maintainence items ( leaky valve cover, chain was shot, still kind of hashed together after my crash in May) and when I picked up a screw in my front tire I decided to park it early this year. Knowing I wouldn't be needing it, I was able to sell my full Micron system for $450. That got me a decent financial start but I wouldn't graduate the police academy until mid August, so the old girl had to wait on me for a while. I'll try to post some pics and tidbits here and there as I go. First and foremost a few disclaimers. Firstly this is all my handywork and I am far from a professional fabricator so feel free to point out errors. Also as the title says this is budget oriented so be prepared for tons of ebay parts(i paid to keep the lights on in China somewhere) and I'm gonna post what I paid for everything. All prices include shipping and are rounded up.

This is most of it so far, before I did the wastegate addition to the downpipe.
I'm shooting for around 6 psi. Turbo is a ebay TD04-15G, I built a header, 2.5"
exhaust, charge piping, etc.. Plans are 440 cc injectors, ran with a boost referenced fpr and a walbro gs307 pump. Tuned with a pc3 using a WEGO III.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Ebay TD04-15G I got it unused for $125. Its kind of an oddball Mitsubishi turbo. It uses a t25 flange, a TD04 downpipe flange, and none of the whacky Mitsubishi propriatary flanges. Pretty tiny 6cm (.41 AR) exhaust housing so with 12:1 compression and quick spooling it should be fun.

I basically just made a simple jig to go on the bike and ran the tubing to there. The angle doesnt really matter in the end but its still further forward here than I wanted due to the bike being on a stand. The T25 flange was $16

This is version 1.0 using an old stock header I had laying around. It's all welded but one merge as I plan on changing tube #3 (from the oil filter) to be better flowing like the other merge. Cost of header materials-$0 since I already had it. I also used a short section of a ZX6 midpipe (2") to make the collector, I think i paid $23 for it a long time ago. This also wound up being my charge piping but more on that later. There will also be a brace from one of the oil cooler bolts to the turbo flange.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

This first pic is the 2.5" 90* and 180* mandrel bends I used for the exhaust ($43) along with the wrong flange I ordered :lol:. Second pic is the proper TD04 flange ($33) which was pricey and kinda a pain to track down.

Here is the whole exhaust. The muffler is just a Muzzys ZX12 slip on ($0, already had it :mfclap:) that I trimmed the collar off of the mounting point. Then I welded the short section of pipe from the stock header to adapt the 2.5" pipe to the 2.75" ish opening of the Muzzys. Four small angled tabs welded to the pipe for the muffler to bolt to. It doesn't have the gasket for the muffler to butt up against like the stock setup but it's solid and doesnt leak. I had my 430 lb brother "cycle the suspension" and it clears the shock linkage and still has awesome clearance at full lean. I imagine the muffler should quiet it down a little as it necks down to 2.25" inside. I have leftover pipe so I'm gonna make a dump pipe too just for shits and giggs.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air filter and oil cooler delete.

Threw on a K&N RU-1770 filter with a 20* flange angle.

Heres the clearance after I removed the Oil cooler.

And heres the new filter. Rather than spend the $176 dollars for the muzzy oil filter relocator plus the $100+ for the lines and fittings, I looked for other options. Brocks has one but its $235 and I looked at some of the stuff available for Honda civics and other cars with M20x1.5 filters and didn't really find much I liked. I went with what i thought was the cheapest, cleanest, and lightest option. So i found a filter with all the right dimensions (except I couldn't find one in M20x1.5) I needed and made it work. The filter is a Wix 51311 ($6) and a m20x1.5- 3/4x16 pipe nipple ($19) to thread into the motor and adapt the Wix filter

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Charge piping

Basic charge pipe setup. There is a 2" 90* coming off of the turbo to a short piece of 2" pipe (ZX6 midpipe from earlier), to another 90*, to the bigger piece of 2" pipe. To adapt to the frame I just took measured the circumference of the airbox inlet and got the diameter I'd need (circumference/3.14) and used a 3" to 2" silicone adapter. Mustang and LT1 guys have done similar things as their throttle bodies have an oval inlet. With a T-bolt clamp it seems to seal pretty good and i can't see why it won't work for a low boost setup. I'll also be doing a similar setup to mount a BOV to the right side inlet. All in total I spent $65 on all the couplers and clamps, including the stuff for the right side. Also in the pics you can see the Boost referenced fuel pressure regulator ($25) near the coolant resevoir. I haven't got around to running the lines yet but it will just come out of the OEM regulator, into the new regulator, and back to the tank.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Wow, you hav been very busy! Excellent project!:thumbup: how are you sealing up the frame?
You can use a oem inlet fuel rail stem in place of the oem fuel regulator. It bolts on, no oem reg.
cmg

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, you hav been very busy! Excellent project!:thumbup: how are you sealing up the frame?
You can use a oem inlet fuel rail stem in place of the oem fuel regulator. It bolts on, no oem reg.
cmg
Haven't got to the frame just yet, have a few ideas though. I was thinking of that and I have a similar stem that will work but everyone said the regulator should be plumbed in series with the oem regulator. But looking at it I don't understand the use of having both in place when the base fuel pressure will probably be around 60 psi.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imageshack seems to be having a brain fart. Hopefully its temporary as the website itself isn't showing any of my pics either. So if you can't see the pics I'll try to fix em later.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good heavens, I won't be able to sleep again :nana:
Well I had victor down the road with his bike and you were always talking about doing a 1380, hell I'm just trying to keep up lol

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Well I had victor down the road with his bike and you were always talking about doing a 1380, hell I'm just trying to keep up lol
doh, I plum-forgot. I've been so busy tinkering with jetskis I could have built two or three by now. I realized I have a problem when I brought skis six and seven home :angry::angry:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
doh, I plum-forgot. I've been so busy tinkering with jetskis I could have built two or three by now. I realized I have a problem when I brought skis six and seven home :angry::angry:
Well keep in mind I love the water and am great at testing new ski upgrades. Haha

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oooh pretty but I'm stumped. jet drive? What all do you have I think the fastest one I've ever ridden was an old yami wave raider 1100. It wasnt bad for a 1996.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts