Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode a used '02 (2.2k miles) yesterday at Greater Boston Motorsports. :D

The bike seems just about perfect, except that on the way back putting it into gear from a stop started to get a bit clunky, almost like the oil is dirty.
Still a model of decorum compared to my R11 BMW's gearbox though...

Is this anything to worry about? What other common faults or issues should I be checking for?

·
Registered
24 Posts
tshelver

Try to find out who the former owner is and why it's for sale now. If it's a demo bike DON'T BUY. A friend of mine made that mistake, blew up the engine at 11,000 rpm in second gear (ZX-11) because the piston jammed due to hard break-in.

Richard

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Kawasaki's are not noted for their silky smooth gear boxes. Going to take a few thousand miles for it to start feeling real good. Also make sure that oil is changed often, that will help alot. Find out if there is any service records....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PO apparently is a bike nut: bought / traded 5 bikes from this dealer over the last year. Traded this one in on an R1150GS (almost the opposite to what I am doing).

The bike is bog stock standard, except for a tank protector, which is a good sign. Can't see any sign of road rash or frame buckling, but the monocoque frame is not familiar to me.

Suspension, wheels, ride, stability and so on all check out fine.

Only other negative is that it is blue. My '01 Concours is blue, not too sure I need another blue Kaw, even if this one is a better color. Had my eye on a black / gold as first choice, followed by red.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ask For Owners Manuel

I would ask the dealer if you could see the owners manuel. Personally I list everything I do in the maintenance section of mine. If the PO did this then you could see how often the oil was changed, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts