Kawasaki World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to repalace that 2nd gear.Since the engine will be removed i will replace all the gaskets,seals and.........the cam chain sliders????Yes you can hear the chain when rolling on-off the throttle.

I've never had to replace the sliders so far on my bikes(the previous owner of my current 12 was a neanderthal) and i need to know:usually,do you need to replace all of sliders,or only the one on the tensioner side???

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sliders/slippers, mean the same thing.

1. When the slipper material has railroad grooves in it = Replace.
2. When the slider is cracked when you flex to check = Replace.
3. When there are no cracks/grooves/end holes are not elongated = Reuse.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The thing about chain/sprockets...

Virgin engine, the tooth to gear is worn on their thrust sides, not so much on the lift side.
When you teardown an engine, not to many time the chain to the gear. Same deal with tire changes. This begins a new wear pattern.

Buying a new chain, not the cam sprockets is a waste of money. Same as saying, I'm going to replace the drive chain and sprocket only. I'll reuse the front sprocket. So the front sprocket is worn down twice, the chain and sprocket once? T

The chain comes around on the worn teeth, this accelerates the chain, and there goes the rear sprocket too. So you are going to install a new part on a worn part = Not smart. Parts are changed as a 'set,' or wait for the noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts