Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last time I was engine fiddling I cracked the plastic heat shield. I don't think I'm the first to do this. I put it back cracked but I'm convinced it buzzes and pisses me off. Now it's out again I was thinking of replacing it but choked at the cost.
Part number seems the same for A and B models so maybe I'll find a used one.
Has anybody just binned the thing and run without. I know it holds on the rubber sheet which may keep crap away from the coil sticks, apart from the does it contribute much? It seems to be listed with the radiator parts, does it significantly guide air to the rad? :headscratch:

£87 List price here that's currently over $140.

Part numbers are the same but I've looked at pictures and the A and B versions look quite different. I assume because the front engine mount is different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where did you crack it? (Standby for the cowboy...) I didn't want to lower the engine mounts and drop the rad so I actually took a hacksaw to mine, cut it on the left hand side between where the forward screw secures it and the bolt onto valve cover. This was great as I could fold one side over the other and slide the thing out. When I put it together after, the two securing points either side of where I cut it holds it nice and tight and the rubber cover dampens any vibration. Happy with that little mod!

If you are certain it is causing your bad vibrations then try riveting a small plate over the crack to firm it up? Cheap and easy if it's not on one of the bends or curves. Good luck

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cracked it right in the middle a few years ago. Can't even remember why I was wrestling it out. I trimmed it back to the more substantial bits whereas nowadays, I would have just plastic welded it.

It's a bit of a gap to bridge now hence, replace or just run without.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Your not alone shep, I found it impossible to re-fit without breaking.....stupid idea if you ask me lol....should have madeit 1/2" smalller or made the gap 1/4" bigger.....the cover doesn't exactly come out easily :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With rad off, cables clear and the front engine mount removed it would be simple.
I read your post from a few years ago Mauser. I've also noted that Blitz replaced his broken part. Not seen anyone other that KZ Scott that has binned it though. I don't suppose wind noise is his biggest issue at mach 2.

I think the bit that went between the block off plates, under the engine mount probably stopped a bunch of wind going under the airbox and flapping the rubber mat about. I don't want to toss it away and find the noise is worse, so while it's out I'll rivet on a bit of aluminium strip to close it up before I spend money on a new plastic item. (like Tom suggested)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I cracked it right in the middle a few years ago. Can't even remember why I was wrestling it out. I trimmed it back to the more substantial bits whereas nowadays, I would have just plastic welded it.

It's a bit of a gap to bridge now hence, replace or just run without.
Actually, looking at that piccy it looks like a much neater way of doing it. I expect that the main purpose of the cover is to provide a securing point for the ignition coil loom to run and secure the rubber mat. Think you've got it covered there myself, I can't see it being the cause of your vibes. The rubber mat may be flapping though as previously said.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Shep, it's a important piece to keep air from spilling over the cam cover and through the bike. Airflow through the rad is not allowed over the engine. This shield directs the air down over the header. Then the air wraps around and out the side vents. If you look closely once it is assembled, you will see how the air is "boxed up" and directed down and out. If you look you will see the side vents are almost touching the side of the engine. On the right side you have that foam strip that over time gets brittle from the heat coming out of that side vent.
If the plastic diverter shield is broke it could easily vibrate.
Don't get rid of it imo.

cmg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shep, it's a important piece to keep air from spilling over the cam cover and through the bike. Airflow through the rad is not allowed over the engine. This shield directs the air down over the header. Then the air wraps around and out the side vents. If you look closely once it is assembled, you will see how the air is "boxed up" and directed down and out. If you look you will see the side vents are almost touching the side of the engine. On the right side you have that foam strip that over time gets brittle from the heat coming out of that side vent.
If the plastic diverter shield is broke it could easily vibrate.
Don't get rid of it imo.

cmg
Yeah, you're right, thanks. I've done a bit of reading and staring at it. It's definitely there for airflow in conjunction with the rad. It is also listed with radiator parts in the exploded parts view. I've also had more noise since I broke it, like a "road noise" roar, so even the very small bit that's missing under the engine mount has an effect.
The choice is really do a decent job of closing the gap up or shell out for a replacement. The bike does a few tours a year and I could do without the noise. I'd hate to rebuild and find that my repair whistles or something worse, so maybe I'll have to get the wallet out again.
Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine broke in half on both left and right sides. I repaired it by gluing ABS strips under the cracks with ABS cement. Seems to be holding up so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts