Kawasaki World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot about the rawness of the A1 models.
Also I hear a lot about the limitations that came into play from 2001 on.
I have not ridden an A1, so can't really compare to my B6. But listening to all of you, who are lucky enough to own an A1, and there is very little, that any models after 2000, can compare with the raw factor a A1 comes with.
There is a lot to be read about the electronic mods that can eliminate the rev and speed inhibitors. I also read about the mechanical limitations, on the later models. Can someone explain a bit more about what can or can't be done to allow my B6 to have the rawness of an A1?
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Just a guess here Simon....
Remove the Secondary throttle plates
Change the throttle cable pulley on the side of the throttle bodys from an Oval shaped one to a round one.
Change the crank balancer to an earlier one?
Get tuned.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a guess here Simon....
Remove the Secondary throttle plates
Change the throttle cable pulley on the side of the throttle bodys from an Oval shaped one to a round one.
Change the crank balancer to an earlier one?
Get tuned.
Hey Steve,
Good call on the throttle plates and cable pulley. I feel they must have done more restrictions, seemingly, the savage feel the A1 has.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think SteveW is pretty right with the info he gave you, I suspect the secondaries and the more elliptical shaped throttle cable wheel have helped to 'smooth' out the throttle response on the later models. I have the A1 and haven't ridden a later model so only presuming. Mind you I did have a '08 14 for a year and went back to an A1 12 for the very reason you are making enquiries; I felt the 14 lacked the raw feel I got used to after 100K kms on the 12. The 12 happened to be one of those bikes I felt I just never should have sold, I had the opportunity to go back to one and did, sure I lost out money wise but I'm happy. Now if I could only justify owning a zx14r and the 12 to my wife I will be very happy! Just my experience though...

Don.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
you want the lighter crank from the earlier model not the heavier flywheel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, the A1 crank is much lighter, up to 1,5 kg if I remember right. This has advantages but disadvantages too. B models are easier to ride like in every day use.

·
Registered
25,299 Posts
you want the lighter crank from the earlier model not the heavier flywheel.
Zackly. This is the biggest reason for the difference in the 12s... You cannot electronically simulate (or compensate for) the lighter crank... This is mechanical, and it affects crank acceleration, engine braking, etc... Much of this is felt thru "the seat of the pants" & constitutes the feel being "raw"...

This phenomenon also affects the "flywheel feel" when leaving the line, meaning that you need to be a bit more aggressive on the gas & a bit more cautious on releasing the clutch to prevent bogging...You don't have that extra spinning mass of the later model's crank to give a more forgiving launch...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I hear a lot about the rawness of the A1 models.
Also I hear a lot about the limitations that came into play from 2001 on.
I have not ridden an A1, so can't really compare to my B6. But listening to all of you, who are lucky enough to own an A1, and there is very little, that any models after 2000, can compare with the raw factor a A1 comes with.
There is a lot to be read about the electronic mods that can eliminate the rev and speed inhibitors. I also read about the mechanical limitations, on the later models. Can someone explain a bit more about what can or can't be done to allow my B6 to have the rawness of an A1?
Cheers
To be honest , I don't know why you would want to ? The best ive seen from Ricky gadson with a standed 00 but lowered / geared was a 9.6 at 146 from memory ?
Just found this ..

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http://kawasakiworld.com/racing/1049-2002-zx12r-post-big-no-s-dragstrip.html&ei=IqcVU4nYBMG-lQXu24GoDA&usg=AFQjCNGGYG-l-lHAa63_6vzMHmkjAxz9ZA&sig2=EUDUbpCRqUPjm5NtpsPzgg

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
The "rawness" of the A1 is something that once you ride it, you either love it or ya don't. I'm not sure you want it, as for most folks, the B model is plenty good enough and is much more manageable. I just like the wild animal feel of the bike. Ya gotta pay attention to what you're doing or she will bite ya a helluva lot faster than you think. I'm not sure this is for just anyone, as there is a reason they changed the bike to refine it out a bit more for the everyday rider. There is nothing wrong with the B models. They are just a bit more forgiving and tame. They still go like hell. The A1 was a "hurry up and whoop up on the Busa" release. Kawasaki dipping their toes in the water with less cc's and more speed...just cause they can. I'm not so sure it's all that drastic really. I can roll mine off a stop light at 1,000rpm with ease. Once you learn the feel of it, your throttle control just becomes second nature, like any other bike.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The "rawness" of the A1 is something that once you ride it, you either love it or ya don't. I'm not sure you want it, as for most folks, the B model is plenty good enough and is much more manageable. I just like the wild animal feel of the bike. Ya gotta pay attention to what you're doing or she will bite ya a helluva lot faster than you think. I'm not sure this is for just anyone, as there is a reason they changed the bike to refine it out a bit more for the everyday rider. There is nothing wrong with the B models. They are just a bit more forgiving and tame. They still go like hell. The A1 was a "hurry up and whoop up on the Busa" release. Kawasaki dipping their toes in the water with less cc's and more speed...just cause they can. I'm not so sure it's all that drastic really. I can roll mine off a stop light at 1,000rpm with ease. Once you learn the feel of it, your throttle control just becomes second nature, like any other bike.
I totally understand what your saying mate , reminds me of my RG500 days but with less weight / power. :thumbup: doesn't compare to the 12's thou ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Gents

i have ridden both a buddy of mine has an A1 which he let me ride and i was in love, so i went and bought my B. I did notice that the A was maybe a bit more brutal and in your face than what mine is i mean it was still stock only thing it had was a scorch slip-on (sounds epic btw). mine has a PC3 and full akra system and is waaaaaayyyyy more placid than his (PC mapping maybe). Mine is definately alot easier to ride as i use it daily through rain and shine and even in the wet is very manageable and predictable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts