Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys ,a friend of mine has just gotten a 2003 12R and loves the bike as i do mine ,however i was fitting a datatool digi yesterday for him so had the bike up on stands in order to programe the unit only to find the bike will not engage second gear ,we have had to resort to spining the rear wheel as fast as we can then with a lot of effort the bike goes in to second gear ,mines an 04 and slips in to second gear with ease whenever selected so was after some info on what hes issue could be ?
any one have any info would be apreciated indeedy fella's
PS i should add that the bike does select second gear when moving along

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Agreed, it won't go into second unless the rear wheel/front sprocket is rotating, like most Kawasakis.

Thought you had to program the digi gear gears with the engine running.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thats a relief guys ,many thanks fellas ,yes you have to have the engine runing but then have to run threw the box to teach it the gears ,so earth the wire ,display flashes ...go to first gear ,then once first is programmed dab the wire again wait for the display to flash then in to second etc etc threw all the gears but by the time the displays ready to accept the second gear programe the rear wheels stationary and wont engage second gear .
also i must confess im new to kawasaki's as this is the first one i have had ...had blades ,R1's,gsxr's inc a turbo conversion 1000 k3 etc etc oh and a fun nitrous bandit so a bit of a learning curve for myself here gents ,so please be gentle and many thanks for the info guys.
i always liked the zx12r and kinda had a soft spot for them ,this one came up for a good price so grabbed it ,as im older now and getting fatter i have fitted the ABM handel bar conversion for a more comfy rideing position ,power commander 3 usb ,ignition advance mod and a cheap but very nice sounding fuel end can .
also had the joys of replacing the rocker box gasket shortly after getting the bike ....deep joy that was

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 2000 kawasaki will not engage 2nd gear when on the rear swing arm support and I am spinning the rear wheel by hand is this normal. Nuetral to first is fine

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Its probably not turning quick enough.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
There is a centrifugal weight on second gear that prevents engagement when motionless.

Sort of but not exactly. There are 2-3 little ball bearings in one the transmission shafts. At rest one of the ball bearings falls down into a hole/slot keeping the transmission from shifting. When the shaft is spinning the balls fly outward allowing the transmission to shift..

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I can shift mine all the way to 6th with ease on a rear stand. I can't remember why I did it, what I was repairing, but I know it's easy as pie. I just rocked the tire back and forth and shifted all the way to 6th. I think it had something to do with turning the motor over....:headscratch:

At any rate, it shouldn't be that hard to shift it up when the engine ain't running.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sort of but not exactly. There are 2-3 little ball bearings in one the transmission shafts. At rest one of the ball bearings falls down into a hole/slot keeping the transmission from shifting. When the shaft is spinning the balls fly outward allowing the transmission to shift..
I fail to see how a ball bearing on top of a spring in a bore positioned radially about the long axis of the supporting shaft isnt precisely described as a centrifugal weight.

However, I am here to learn. I yield the floor.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Powder wig diplomacy......

Ya know...the easiest way to bypass this issue should you need to shift thru gears static, just leave it in 2nd before you shut it down and put it on the stand. Or run the bike on the stand, and shift it up. The neutral finder is just a hinderance. I've ridden plenty of bikes without this feature. It's nice at a stoplight, but, a pain in the ass sometimes too. If your RPM's are 1300 at idle, and you are in first, good luck finding neutral. Even 1200.....it will just jog back and forth first to second and back.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I fail to see how a ball bearing on top of a spring in a bore positioned radially about the long axis of the supporting shaft isnt precisely described as a centrifugal weight.

However, I am here to learn. I yield the floor.

Sorry I so easily offended you. Now cry me a river..

·
Registered
577 Posts
You erroneously interpret my stating the facts as taking umbrage with your counterpoint.

I have the ability to debate a topic upon the facts whilst simultaneously excluding emotion.

Do you possess this ability as well?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts