Kawasaki World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all nearly chain and sprocket change time I was told the 12 has a continuous chain and doesn't have a link .but when I look at replacement chains they have a link .whats the right chain to fit ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use a hollow master link I have a special tool that is idiot proof so I can attest to its effectiveness and ease of use , never heard of a continuous chain, I use this one,

·
Registered
145 Posts
And this is the idiot proof tool I use for breaking and fitting my chain

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And this is the idiot proof tool I use for breaking and fitting my chain

Cheers cal very helpful I will give that a go mate 👍

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tha adjustment marks on the rear axle are interesting. When you count 3 on one side and 3 on the other, it looks off. Maybe it isn't, but I would think a laser would make it easier for sure.

I think CMG had a tool that he made that made alignment a breeze. Maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My alignment marks are off too. I use a simple chain straighteness alignment tool and go by that.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Tha adjustment marks on the rear axle are interesting. When you count 3 on one side and 3 on the other, it looks off. Maybe it isn't, but I would think a laser would make it easier for sure.

I think CMG had a tool that he made that made alignment a breeze. Maybe he will chime in.
my alignment rods use the pivot shaft hole to square the axle. I have seen oem marks that are really good and I have seen them off as much as 3mm.
I checked the alignment rods on several 12 builds along with a laser. The pivot shaft is reliable in relation to the counter sprocket. Which in turn should square the axle.
Accuracy is important and I think 3mm out on one side is significant.

cmg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine are about 5mm out, thank god for that profi laser tool, it's idiot proof so great for me 😅 put it against the rear sprocket and the laser line shines between the inside and outside chain link super easy. Chain tension is still a bit of eyeball work though but I've seen a chain monkey tool that should take the guess work out of it, a work mate of mine bought one gonna borrow his when he is done see if it's all that it's cracked up to be, hope so

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
I use my vernier calipers and measure from the rear of the swingarm to the axle blocks.
Add 2.5mm to the Nut side block as its smaller.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like the way you think, Steve. Going to have to give that a shot.

Cal, appreciate the ink that looks nifty. Might pick that up.

Haha, my daughter has a cat laser toy that I kind of borrowed and tried. Lay it on the chain and line it up haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Pretty sure it was KZScott I stole that method from.
Never had a drama since

1 - 18 of 18 Posts