Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think the tank cover is not cleared.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I may be wrong but I am pretty sure everything is, tank included.

It's all plastic.. and it's basically paint then clear coat.
I am not sure if there is a base. I dont think there is because when I bought colorite paint it was just paint and claer.

If ya think about it..

The clear coat alters the the paint color and look quite a bit..
If all the pieces didnt have it they wouldnt look that same..

Also.. it of course protects.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've waxed and treated the plastic on my 12R a few times and would be seriously surprised if there was a clear over the plastic coating... but I could be wrong. :wink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
G'day All, I've got a 2000 in silver.............er HAD one in silver :lol: , it's definitely clear over colour, no base colour coat. Same on all painted areas.
Later
SB

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shaft said:
I've waxed and treated the plastic on my 12R a few times and would be seriously surprised if there was a clear over the plastic coating... but I could be wrong. :wink:
what the heck is the plastic coating ?

There is clear on everything

you have plastic type bodywork (not sure the actual name of the stuff)
then paint
then clear coat

Thats all there is too it.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
The body panels are made of ABS. The tank skin is a modified plastic of which I am not positive but I think its PVC based.

The '00-'01 definitely used a three stage paint - base (metallic silver on red/silver, gold on green), opaque color tint, and a clear coat. This makes them extremely difficult to repair and make look right.

The later models (PMB, CSR) I suspect use a two stage paint - base/color and clear coat.

I don't own a '02-04 but I can pretty much guarantee you the tank skin is clear coated. I know the '00 is.

Generally the easiest way to tell ABS from PVC is ABS is pretty rigid while PVC (and modified PVC's) are flexible. If you have a late model car or truck with plastic bumper jackets, that material is very similar to the tank skin on the zx-12r.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts