Discussion Starter #1
ALIEN HERE

SAT ON HOLD FOR 39 mins and no answer :(

Well the show was kewl...

ALIEN OUT

·
Registered
506 Posts
They didn't answer any email either. I watched the Web Cam in the studio. Didn't see Cliff though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I sent in 1 question for Frank and 1 for Cliff, got an email back from them to email Cliff directly with my question. Seems they didn't expect such a response from a bunch of crazy bike guys. Guess Cliff was right under the webcam, noticed a mike hanging there!

You can tell it was more of an automotive show, they need to do one for bikes once a month!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
They needed to give Cliff more time to take about his ZX-12R, I don't think they gave him his share. I don't think they answered any questions from anyone. They mentioned in the beginning that they had some questions from me on the air, which was great, but they never got around to them.
Cliff: Next time tell them you can fill a 1 hour slot with just you and your ZX-12R. We will keep you busy, I guarantee.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi 12 lovers.........So was the show a success? You bet it was, in fact the studio people contacted me last night and told me the calls literally jamed the phone and e-mail systems, they couldn't handle the volume of incoming!! Great job thanks.
Mojo have asked if I'd come on as a regular to Guys Garage and conduct Q&A's on bike mods, in return they'll promote my Head-Hunting firm company.......done.
This is interesting, the theme that Johnny noted from the many calls and notes he continues to reiceve, is that most of the bike owners are feed up with the shitty service and bad info that they seem to be getting from their bike service shops, they want to understand the mechanical processes of their bikes themselves and maybe start doing some of the performance mods on their own. They trust what I'm saying because ultimately the proof is in the pudding, and my pudding tastes pretty good at 200 rwhp and 110ft/lbs of torque. That's 210 hp on the hwy!!!!!
This is music to my ears guys because for years when I raced bikes I had no money and no one would help me. I had to figure out how to make my motors fast and suspension work, on my own, (by the way, I never talk about things I have not experienced first hand). Unfortunaltley, there are some "less than keen" people in postions of authority in the bike business who at times really don't know what they are talking about and have cetrtainly never experienced the mods first hand, I'm talking abour some shop mechanics. They simple do what they last heard etc. This often makes for poor performance......I say question authority and the status quo of combustion. In many cases the standard rules need to be updated.
Lastely, not all motors react the same way to so called age old tuning methods, many require a special set-up.
Let's plan on a specific Kawasaki ZX12 mod hour, (maybe get Doug Meyer of Muzzys invloved), in the near future. I will tell you everything I have experienced after 3 years, (dyno and road tested at every step), about making this wonderful bike even better.
And of all the stuff I ruined by modifing too far, like pulling the bushings out of the 12 front fork legs to anodize them black. Kawasaki do not sell the bushings for these special legs on their own because they were never meant to be removed. We messed around for months with new bushings etc. until we realized that the leg and bushing are built as a set. Leave them along, or you will have excess movement and it will cost you $2,000.00 to replace the otter legs. Thank God I have friends in high places at Kawasaki who gave me new ones, and like my Dad used to say, "stop fucking around"!!!!
Once piped, the proper PC3R fuel & ignition map is first on my list!! This is a very interesting discussion and one Doug and I have worked on at length. We can make your motor so much better it's truley unreal.
Stay tuned and thanks again for all of your support.
Cheers,
Cliff

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys........I have debated for the last hour about whether I should tell everyone this stuff, I even discussed my concerns with Doug Meyer today who was amazed at the revalation I came up with this weekend, and who like me had some concerns that this newest tuning method should be made public knowledge for fear of causing a distraction to riders. At the end of the day thought i beleive you should decide for yourself what is safe and what is not, I do not want to assume this responsiblity.
Here is my finding - Via the use of a PC3R you can make changes yto your fuel and ignition map realtime, meaning you do noy have to stop the motor will you adjust the idel mixture or ignition advance in your garage. As soo nas you down load the new numbers they will effct the motor. Therefore I thought if that is the case why not load a number of maps onto my Sony palm and connect it to the PC3R so that while I'm driving I can determine the correct fuel and ignition requirement for various speeds. Guess what it works!! You can now CAREFULLY find an open stretch of road and set up maps as follows:
fuel maps +3, +6, +9, +12, -3,-6,-9,-12
ignition maps + or - advance as you like at certain rpm, consider your dyno torque graph and incersae the ignition slightly where you saee dips.
You can now effectively produce a map for the real World.
Have fun but be careful please.
Cheers,
Cliff

·
Registered
26 Posts
Follow-up.....The key thing here is you do not have to stop the motoe just change maps on the fly. It's absolutely fantasic.
Once you get home re-build you map accordingly.
Cheers,
Cliff

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to be taking up so much space here, however I thought I'd let you know how I do the palm real time mapping. I have a second gas tank plate, you know the one that screws int5o the upper plastic tank cover. I crazy glued female velcro strips to it and male velcro to the back of my Sony PEG-T615C palm. I run the palm cable under the bodywork to the PC3R in the back, very sexy set-up. When I'm done with the tuning, I simply replace the metal tank plate with my other one. This type of set-up makes for safer tuning on the fly.
I recieved a call this evening from a fellow in Texas who wanted to know how he could figure out where his throttle postion was relative to the PC3R, this is a very goood question. Here is the answer:plan a test at 5500rpm in 6th gear. To determine how much throttle you are really using, (as far as your PC3R is concerned), do 4 fuel maps with the following changes only. At 5500rpm change the corresponding cell for 2% of throttle on one map, 5% of throttle on another map, and 10% of throttle on the third. The forth map should be your original map.
Change each cell by 15 pts 'richer'. Remember this test is designed to identify PC3R throttle postion at speed, not to make the bike run better. Once you find the % range, simple go back to the proper map, which is your #4 map.
You'll be shocked to see just how little throttle you are typically using when cruising in top gear on your 12. Do the test at different rpms until you figure out the throttle postion, then adjust your final map accordingly.
Dyno, who needs a dyno!!!
Best of success and be careful, remember find a big wide open hwy.
Cheers,
Cliff

·
Registered
650 Posts
good stuff Cliff, thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
pc3 rmap

:?: to speed up the testing should`nt we start with a map that was made with our bike on a dynojet 250 that has the tuning link program to get max power, then make small map adjustments. we know max power means shitty mpg. adjust mapping for the real world as in ram air.when i`m comuting back and forth to work everyday like i do i lean out all 3 band of pushbutton fine adustment to 14.5 to 1 using my air fuel meter. then when you feel like trolling for victims pop the seat and center all 3 bands and boast the fuel up around 12% across the curve. saves alot of gas and has more power than you will ever need for going to work...keep burnin rubber...killer.......... clff thank you for sharing your labor of love

·
Registered
26 Posts
ZX.......Good point, always start with a bench mark dyno prepared and sniffer checked map.
Now to your second question, big horsepower on my 12 comes from a couple of interesting methods. I had fuel where my dyno curve shows me max torque is created, else where especially top end I'm leaner than richer, in fact I'm fueling very close to the magic 12.7 o2 number. I'm not convinced the 12 likes big fuel up top, mine cirtanly doesn't.
Check it out guys, this is a fascinating way to better understand your motorcycle.
Final note - hook up your PC3R to your computer in the garage and start the motor. You can watch the activity going on real-time with your motor. You can tune the off idle stumble and play with proper fueling once you get your TB's balanced as per my earlier note, all real-time, you do not have to shut off the engine.
This TB balancing by the way is a must for smoother idle, (mine idles as low as 600 rpm if I want it too) and better excelleration on the 12. You can not properly balance the 12 with the joint air screws as shown in the manual. Refer to my notes.
Youy can even mess with your TPS and see what effect it has on fuel management.....Note just sensitive your TPS really is on the 12!!!
Have fun and prepare those questions for my next radio show coming up soon, I'll be dedicating the whole hour to the 12 and bringing on experts in their respective fields to enlighten us accordingly.
I have sent Dale a pic of my palm set-up on the 12. I thought it vwould be helpful for all to see just how sexy this is.
Cheers,
Cliff

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry, my weakest link is I can't smell, I mean spell.

I wanted to say that to make smooth big power on MY Muzzy Kawasaki ZX1270 project, I add fuel at max torque 7,500 rpm and start pulling it out as I head toward full throttle.
The reason is simple, depending how you get to WFO, big fuel slows the upper excelleration curve. Lean reduces the fuel load and lets the motor spin up faster. Now don't make it so lean that it stumbles, however you may want to determine where that piont is. You'll be very surprised.
Cheers,
Cliff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts