Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is an old worn topic, but can anyone tell me a good place to buy a complete clutch upgrade kit for a decent price? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I can't tell you the best place or the cheapest.... But here some pics of the muzzy setup....

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzzy is asking $350 for the billet basket (plus $200 core charge), and another $300 for the clutch kit. I was hoping to get off a little cheaper than this! :shock:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Ahhhh come on Mr. Petroleum Engineer, crack the wallet open.... :lol:

·
Registered
759 Posts
The Muzzy Hub/Clutch kit and Billet Basket is a Must!!!...Sure the price tag just under $1000.00, rebuilding the motor is much more and the piece of mind of knowing that you wont wreck the motor and having a chatter free smooth clutch is Priceless!!!

The choice is yours because it's your 12!!!

By the way the above is for the 2000-2001 ZX12s...If you have a 2002-2003 all you need is the Billet Basket, the OEM Hub has oil passages now!!!

Also, the 2002 clutch set up has 2 sets of paired rings and small fibers...Thats why there is NO MORE Clutch CHATTER...Thank You Kawasaki!!!...The clutch is now fixed!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CR, looks like as Blitz said, I'm gonna have to crank open the wallet. Damn, between $400 helmets, leathers, and the constant mods, the ZX and the YZ426 are gonna break me! I was talking to a friend today, and we both agreed it seems kinda funny to spend all that money on something you plan to destroy! IE, tires, clutches, brakes, chains and sprokets, etc. Sure is fun destroying them though.

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
i think i got the drag racing bug!!... so i thinking about muzzy clutch set up....glad to hear i dont need basket {thanks crotchrocket}...so for me its only a 300.00 investment ...read that using zx-6r springs helps also...does this hold true for the 02? :roll:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Voz...You need the Basket, not the Hub!!! :lol: I knew what you meant...

I dont know what springs Kawasaki used, but it feels close to the same to me!!!

The 2002 clutch fiber set up is alot different with the 2 rings and small fiber in 1st. then in the middle of the pack another 2 rings and small fiber!!!

I am leaving the 2002 OEM clutch pack in place to see how many passes I get out of them!!!...So far I have 10 passes and in the center of the pack a couple of steels have small brown spots on the edge!!!...They look alot better then the 2000 steels at the same amount of passes!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
544 Posts
i have a 2002 zx12r with 5000 miles on it and 5 passes on the drag strip and my clutch is slipping....damn..i had 16000 on my nine with no problems..is muzzys cluth decent..don't want to be getting another cluth 5000 miles :evil: from now...

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I got 16 pass's on 02 clutch's and I chickened out.

Clutch is fine but I'm going for billet basket before anymore run's. it just ain't worth the gamble.

Muzzy will get my money on this mod.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Moody...To save the clutch on the 12 you need the 16-44 gearing!!!...Also when ever you ride try to get the clutch out ASAP, by dragging the clutch you are wearing it out...You dont need to go fast to let the clutch out fast, just change your way of clutch/throttle to letting it out faster!!!

Outlaw...Good choice!!!

The key to longer lasting clutches is the 16-44 or 17-47 gearing!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
CR have you tried the 16/46 yet just for fun???? Pulls like a freeking train......

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
My friend's Muzzy clutch is heading south as we speak. It did get 10.01 and 9.986 passes before it started acting up. I don't think it many passes on it. I guess 12's are just hard on clutches, stock or aftermarket?!?!

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Heres a stock 2000 clutch with 6 runs on it... The 2000 clutch sucked didn't get enough oil in my opinion... This is why I did the full Muzzy... Plenty of cooldown time between runs also...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts