Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....clutch lever out in neutral...best decribed as a BRRRR noise...maybe a fluttering noise. Clutch in with fill plug out....clearly hear a metal sliding over metal noise...like two metal plates being rubbed against each other. Lately I've switched to amsoil (just this week)10w 40 and bike only has 13000 miles...it's a 02 by the way. Is this normal and I've just noticed..or bad and I've just discovered. Running...fine...no slip..shifts great...but noise can be heard clearly fill plug in but quite loud fill plug out. Thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe better to describe...when the bikes in neutral and the lever pulled I can hear metal sliding on metal sound....when the fillplug is pulled the sound gets quite a bit louder...like the plates are rubbing against metal as they spin..no a squeal but as if the parts rotating were touching off on something metal...not sure what to make of it..I know about clutch rattle with lever out...all my toys had rattle..the 12 rattles pretty good..but this is like metal sliding on metal. Can someone quickly pull their plug and listen to see if they hear the same thing if possible?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
mine is still in hibernation with the battery out,, otherwise i would,, dont sound right,, but you say it is functioning fine?? lets see what the others say about it...

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
well as you can see it is happening when the pressure plate is DISENGAGING,, it doesnt appear to be a NORMAL noise, it takes 10 minutes to take the clutch cover off and have a look,, just undo the 2 bolts that hold the puller shaft onto the mount bracket so you dont lose your clutch adjustment, unless you know how to dial her back in with the freeplay etc... and give a hands on look moving shit around by hand at first to see if there is anything evident right off the bat.
i personally would take her apart as they are pretty simple,, pull the springs and then the pressure plate and have a look at it,, i can walk you thru it over the phone if you like... when i said to undo the 2 bolts,, what you are doing is leaving the cable mounted to the small triangular bracket that is held on by 2 bolts and rotating the puller shaft so it will come out but the cable is still connected at the current adjustment. then once the puller shaft is out you can remove the remaining bolts and pull the cover, it wont leak oil as long as its on the side stand.. let me know what you find out..
BTW dont want to sound like and asshole, but how is your oil level? just out of curiosity....had to ask :rotflmao:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
there is a disc, just behind the pressure plate, it is loaded with tiny needle bearings,, maybe that took a shit or grenaded? once the cover is off PAY ATTENTION! after the clutch springs are removed the pressure plate comes off. and directly underneath is that bearing and a washer,, beware of them and do an inspection, if you decide to go further in look at how the pressure plate fits RIGHT UP AGAINST the first fiber! on reassembly if it doesnt go flush right up against the first fiber plate or there is ANY gap between the fiber and PP, pull it off and rotate it slightly and re install.there is a notch it needs to be in!.. ALSO if you have a stock basket which im sure you do, you will notice that the first fiber is offset in the basket, (unlike the others are) make sure it goes the same way and if you must remove any plates keep them in order, just take your time and im sure you will see what is wrong unless stack height is way out, but if your bike is running normal and no slipping i doubt that is the case,, im leaning toward that little fucking needle bearing! good luck........... BTW one other thing,,,, the pin that the puller shaft pulls on to disengage the clutch will be sticking thru the center of the basket, the bearing and washer in question ride on that puller shaft pin on the inside OR backside of the PP, so just be careful after the 6 clutch springs are removed because as you pull the pressure plate off you will have access to that pin and the washer and neeedle bearing, hope this is all making sense??? :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
there is a pin in the center that the rod you pulled out of the cover grabs onto, when you squeeze the lever it pulls that pin and basically pulls the PP away from the stack of plates, disengaging everything.., rotate that pin by hand and wiggle it around,, if you feel any grindy noise etc or something doesnt feel right i would use your allen wrenches and take the springs and PP off like i described above! and then have a look....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts