Kawasaki World banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
this is just in case you do the metric thing up there LOL
Clutch is simple,, wouldnt let anyone do it for me! disassemble and replace the worn fibers after scuffing the steels. (56.8mm-57.6mm) is what you should be after, last time i was at 57.4mm and mine has been flawless since with a billet basket and 6 brocks springs. what you should have done is research these boards and know the stack height before putting in the clutch,, get a cheap set of calipers to measure the height and you should be fine,, i used the springs that are surroundeed by the larger diameter fiber but that is up to you, the closer you stay to stock the better! Once youve done one,, it shouldnt take more than 45 minutes to do if not less. take your time sharpe edge of the steels face you when installed. take the measurement by stacking the lightly oil plates and hanging them over the edge or a glass or flat granite counter top,, if you are on the high side of the spec your good to go! gonna be 12/11 if 1.6s are used OR 11/10 if 2.0s are used.

this was pasted from an old thread... not sure if you have two sets of chatter rings (in that microfishe there is one set) as that is a 2000 A1 in the picture.. my brother as a 01 and i found 2 sets,,

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
10/4,, what we are talking about are the chatter rings,, they are spring steel and very thin, each chatter ring is comprised of 2 parts, a washer and a spring and if you look close 1 fiber plate allows the chatter ring assembly to ride inside of it,, on the A1(2000) i only have one, but like holeshot said you probably have 2 sets,, one set will be all the way deep inside the basket surrounded by the deepest (first) fiber installed, and the second set of chatter rings reside somewhere in the middle of the stack of plates,, so of all the fiber plates 2 will be oddballs to allow these rings to ride inside, the fibers will have a larger inner diameter which you can see with the naked eye but can over look it if not looking for it! BE CAREFUL and take your time............dude once you do it once its cake so dont get overwhelmed with all this typing... LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
dont know if its any good for you or not....i just went thru the same thing on my 02....problem was mp2 of the spring bolts were loose and the bolt plate was rubbing when i pulled on clutch lever....took out all clutches and plates..reassemble and put a small ummph on spring bolts fresh 10 40w..walla quite as a mouse...its woth your time to disassemble..check all internals and reassmble...go from there.... hope it helps

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
are you saying that 2 of the clutch spring allen bolts were loose?
nothing gets disassembled if that is the case though.. you just tighten them and put the cover back on... dont see a reason to pull the plates if thats what you are talking about unless i misunderstood what you just said...
i do however agree to disassemble if nothing jumps right out at him.. like a monster :rotflmao:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
looking plates over...going to just replace the steels and needle bearing I think. can you guys explain the orientation of the chatter rings...two in the middle..one is contoured....and at the back of the clutches there is another contoured ring....anyone have a pic of the plate/stee/ring orientation to illustrate. I pulled the rings out of the pile to see the shape and compare and am not sure how there were orientated in the pile....I know....pay attention...I know..

Also..should I look deeper into the assy...? should I pull the basket?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
looking plates over...going to just replace the steels and needle bearing I think. can you guys explain the orientation of the chatter rings...two in the middle..one is contoured....and at the back of the clutches there is another contoured ring....anyone have a pic of the plate/stee/ring orientation to illustrate. I pulled the rings out of the pile to see the shape and compare and am not sure how there were orientated in the pile....I know....pay attention...I know..

Also..should I look deeper into the assy...? should I pull the basket?
Did you measure the stack yet??? That will tell you if you need fibers or not....Are you wanting to know which way the ring goes??? Just put them both in the same direction,I`ve done it both ways and never noticed a difference but I don`t even run them anymore...I just run all fibers and steels,no chatter rings or different fibers...1st and 7th are the chatters rings...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
ok..also to note..when I spin the basked (empty..no rings, etec) I can feel back and forth play in the bearing...not in and out but can hear a click like sound as I wheel the basket back and forth...is this normal? I'll get the vernier monday and measure..can't till then.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
the basket bearing is HUGE and i highly doubt that is the issue. what did the little needle bearing look like? those chatter rings----- one goes in first, the flat washer FIRST then the concave one on top of it pointing outward ... some like the 2.0 steels, myself i like the 1.6s that came OEM,, you will need 11 steels if you go 1.6 or 10 if you go 2.0, i would also get at least 3 HD springs,,, im noto a big fan of changing steels alone especially when the fibers are the wear item in the basket,, i owuld go ALL new everything and be done with it,, fibers, steels,, springs,, needle bearing,, and cable.. shouldnt be over 300 bucks for piece of mind,, anyhow when you get all your parts and ready to assemble,, shoot me a PM with your phone number and i can walk you thru it if you like... any other questions?
BTW if you feel the basket is the issue and want to pull it, i would,, easier if you have an impact/compressor,, if you are going to,, i can call you with a trick that makes it easier.. what did the needle bearing look like? what did the jaws on the puller shaft look like? (the rod that goes into the clutch cover, that grabs onto the pin in the center of the clutch shaft)
Ooops,, forgot to ask,,,, did you notice how many sets of chatter rings you have? 1 or 2, also did you see how the fiber @ each set of chatter rings has a larger inner diameter? if you line up all the tabs on the edges of the fibers and look in the center you will see either 1 or 2 fibers are unlike the other 8 or 9 fiber plates,, make sure you are aware of what im talking about, because when you go to order this will be important UNLESS you choose to not reuse the chatter rings, i myself wear the chatter rings and my bike only has 1 set as it is a 2000 model....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
aside from some heat damage to the steel...every component looks near new. The needle bearing looks good. I 'think' the noise is the bearing or washer getting hung up on the pressure plate some how....but definatly thinking bearing realted. But I will order clutch plates/steel plates needle and bushing. Now...chatter rings, there were three, one flat with a contour plate in the middle, one contour at the back of the plates. Now how does the contour plate orientate with the bike? like this / high side middle toward me, or like thi \ with high side middle towards bike ...../\ are my poor mans way of sowing the rings.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
the only thing touching the pressure plate should be the last fiber that goes in? the narrow cone should face in,, so if it was shaped like a funnel the wider side would face you , outward: here are some schematics,, click the bar above each pic to make the photos bigger... dont know how there were 3 or them???? are you sure???? LOOK closer,, all the way inside... is there another part to the chatter ring all the way deep inside? there should be a flat washer and a concave spring EACH in the pack, one of each all the way on the inside and one halfway in the pack.... there shouldnt be JUST a spring OR a waher by itself! if there is a washer there needs to be a spring with it! if there is a spring there needs to be a washer with it.. are you getting what im saying... there cannot be an odd number of components when it comes to the chatter rings! did anyone open this clutch before??? DUDE, phone is better for all the questions...i PMed my #
http://kawasakiworld.com/racing/406...-manual-oem-diagrams-pics-beginners-read.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
it...now as for rings...do the rings go bevel side towards me or sharp side towards me?

Decided to go with just the needle bearing, washer and re-assemble to see if it's just the needle bearing. Steel and fiber plates are going to wait I think...just too much to invest right now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
after full check...inside of pressure plate where the needle bearing washer is insterted is really highly polished and the one side of the washer shows some faint heat burnishing...I suspect the washer was rotating in the pressure plate...also noticed a bit of what I thought was antisieze...I know think its residue aluminum/oil created by the washer which is metal rotating on the aluminum housing...

Needle bearing is ordered..new washer as well....clutch will be kept for now...hopefully can move on quickly with little expense...but a good learning event!!

curious this happens just days after I switch to amsoil...for some reason the washer on top of the needle bearing decided it was easier to rotate against the pressure plate than to rotate with the bearings....hmmm....wondering...if starts up again...new pressure plate...but hmmm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok...wish me luck. Ordered new bearing..with that I scuffed the inner hub of the pressure plate that was polished by the spinning bearing washer in hopes to create friction and encourage the bearing to turn like it SHOULd insted of the pressure plate turning on the waher. Then I high polished the bearing side of the washer...again to promote bearing function...new bearing...smooth surface....should fix the issue and the throwout bearing can for sure do as it was designed, not that I'm certain why the bearing was getting hung up but looked fine. Anyways reinstall clutch plates tomorrow...semi syn instead of synthetic...and HOPE LIKE HELL this issue is behind me.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts