Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hopefully someone may be able to help me here . Knowing the notorius zx12r clutch . My problem is when clutch is cold i have no freeplay at lever . After riding a few miles and things have warmed up . I gain at least 5mm freeplay and can feel clutch dragging . When i bought bike clutch would always stick . Previous owner dropped ebc frictions in dry . I have removed and soaked and cleaned up steels . Still sticks if left for over a week but frees up easily . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . P.s. basket is mint no grooves !!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a similar problem... The free play came and went. It was because the pressure plate wasn't correctly aligned I took the pressure plate of double checked the steel and friction plates put it all back together taking care that the pressure plate was correctly aligned, I didn't realize before that it has to be in a certain orientation to fit properly, tighted the screw springs down never had a problem since. Goodluck either way bud

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers cal
Will check that out next weekend . Is it obvious with the orientation . Or am i searching for marks ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wouldn't call it obvious just need to check it lines up with the basket and plates before you push it home and start tightening. I lined it up how I thought it should be but took a peek in and saw it didn't line up right so turned it to the next hole while keeping an eye on it and saw it definatly lined up with the basket and plates. I'm thinking this is why alot of people trash the basket. Incorrect placement of the Pressure plate but that's just my 2p worth. Let us know how you get on 👍🏻

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
There is a little triangle on the clutch hub that lines up with the basket on the stock setup (if remembered correctly). This would be the alignment you are thinking of. I did it myself (misaligned) once until informed of correct setup - it's in the manual too. Also on the stock setup the last plate is off-set to the others.

Cheers,
Don.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys . Only kick in the nuts is removing the chinese fairing after lining it all up . But better get on with it and stop whinging. I may hold off and get a new clutch if im going in again as it is still sticky if left . Thanks again 😁

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so bit the buĺlet and bought a new oem clutch complete , cheers schnitz racing hopefully all will be lovely by the end of day . Just a quick headsup to any uk riders , schnitz are very good but our government ram raids you in customs .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts