Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put the bike into 1st gear. My bike stalls while still holding in the clutch lever. Can someone guide me in the right direction. Is it my clutch pack or just need a new cable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, it had a lot of play at one point I watched some videos and shortened up the play to what was in the video. The bike allows me to put it in gear but stalls when I do it

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You don't say which model it is as the wiring is different between models.
So, check the clutch lever switch or the diode by the fuse box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies it’s a 2000 zx12r A1. After my last post I did some further investigating, and found I can put the bike into first gear and back to nuetral without using the lever. I imagine that this is not good. Can you tell me how to fix it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Maybe you forget to put sidestand up lol. Really though could be a faulty sidestand switch. You say "you can put it into first then back to neutral without using clutch lever". Is this while running of while bike is off?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Forget about the diode, on yours you will need to undo the clutch lever mount and remove the clutch switch from the mount. then gently strip apart the clutch switch and clean up all the contacts inside and make sure the 3 dimple contact pad is also clean and still springy.
Sometimes these switches are tricky to reassemble correctly.
Or buy a new one, but even then some are iffy as I've heard of brand new zx12's where this switch didn't work correctly from new.
The zx-9r uses the same switch and I did a picture guide for that here. Clutch switch checking, cleaning and/or replacing. - ZX-9R.Net

Reactions: Cal Thorsen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can switch it while the bike is running and not running. The side stand was up as well. I will check the Lever and cleaned the diode

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There is only a diode in the B3 onwards It replaces one of the contacts in the clutch lever switch, that's one of the reasons I needed to know what model you had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood, I cleaned all contacts. Checked the side stand connections for power/resistance. Still doing it. So I left it in 1st gave it a rolling start and it ran fine. Rode it down the block and back, put in in neutral using the lever and back into first and it didn’t stall

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Nicely done, you must be pleased of a cheap and easyish fix. :)(y)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That's fairly normal for most Kawasakis. its to let you know you've put it into first.:giggle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts