Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear that the clutch on the 12 arent so great :( so i am getting ready to upgrade my clutch. i was wondering what is the best replacment out there. i know muzzy has a lockup & a muzzy replacment clutch. post up guys & gals.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
drilling holes in basket

i hear you can drill holes in the stock clutch basket on the 2k zx12r. does anyone know about this?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yes you can drill holes in the stock.. My clutch went out on me about two weeks ago and the dealer is going to drill more holes and replace a fel springs to "Work better" Ill have her back some time this week!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
That will help, but u will need to get the thicker 2mm steels and heavier springs to make it complete. It wouldn't hurt to have the machined bushing either..

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
ZX... The dealer is going with thicker plates, drilling extra holes, Swapping the zx12 springs with those of a zx9 (heavier & better working) and re-fabing a few other parts. I will let you know by next week if it feels better of not! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
question

ZXLNT said:
u will need to get the thicker 2mm steels . It wouldn't hurt to have the machined bushing either..
when you say thicker 2m steels are you referring to the clutch plates :? what is involved in machining the bushing?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The bushing has a little slot/groove machine or EDM'ed into it to assist in oil flow.

I can't explain exactly I would have to show ya.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics

ZXLNT said:
I can't explain exactly I would have to show ya.
can you post some pics. i hate to be a dummy but i am planning to upgrade my clutch so i trying to get all the info i can.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's the clutch HUB that gets drilled NOT the basket, if you notice the Muzzy its almost solid (basket), the clutch is oiled from the center out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
holes

so were do i drill the holes? do i drill the center or the sides. how much holes should i drill and what size should these holes be?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
final decision

Thanks for all the posts. Here is what I came up with
1: muzzy performance clutch kit ($299.99)
2: 2k zx-6 springs
3: 2k1 shift rod
do you guys think this is a good setup? Or do I need to get the muzzy clutch basket? Do I need the performance clutch kit or would it be cheaper to just buy plates and drill my stock hub?

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I would get just a modified hub plates and stuff if possible... I wouldn't worry about the basket till I cracked the 200 hp mark.... Which I have.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
richard. so i should modify my stock hub, get some plates ( do u have any suggestions on the plates? ) , 2k zx6 springs.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
My personal choice was buy it basket and all... But if you don't want to spend that much cash I would at least try to get the modified hub and plates... Modifying it yourself who knows how well that will work.. They have three different hole sizes on angle... And then the center is also modified.... I don't reccomend modifying it yourself...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Stop hashing it over. Fork out the dough for the Billet Basket and clutch kit and be donewith it. One fell swoop and have piece of mind..

·
Registered
544 Posts
zx12richard said:
My personal choice was buy it basket and all... But if you don't want to spend that much cash I would at least try to get the modified hub and plates... Modifying it yourself who knows how well that will work.. They have three different hole sizes on angle... And then the center is also modified.... I don't reccomend modifying it yourself...
as you know i have the 02 12r...what are the advantages or what does the muzzys billet basket do for me....i know the clutch and hub can withstand a lot more than the stock clutch...i am a rookie when it comes to this stuff. :?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts