Kawasaki World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All...

New to the Forum and have a problem with my 2005 Nomad 1600 that is getting expensive. Keeps blowing brake and tail light fuses. (both on same circuit) Starts off with installing a fresh fuse, turn ignition to "on" and everything works fine for several seconds by pressing the hand and foot brakes. Then the fuse blows. Or, as soon as I start the bike it blows the 10A fuse. Replace the fuse and doing same as above, it blows another fuse. After several fuses, it will then blow the fuse as soon as I turn the ignition "on". The bike has been in the shop and at $65.00 per hour it is getting expensive for them to find the problem. Prior to taking it to the shop, I evaluated the obvious and could not find anything out of place. I pulled the fuse box after several incidents of blowing fuses and felt no increased heat to it. I pulled the seat, gas tank and speedo cover looking for crushed wires and found nothing. I checked The ignition switch appears to be working properly. Every where wires go through a hole I looked for chaffing and found nothing.

If anyone has any ideas or experiences with this issue your comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance, Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently had my entire rear end light setup go dark on me. Initially, it was a blown fuse but as to why the fuse was blown took some more searching.

It turns out that I had to fix an earlier issue anyway with my left rear turn signal so I had to do an in-depth inspection of the wires. Now I have all LEDs and also have an LED license plate holder. When viewed from the rear my bike really lights up well. But its a ton of wires to get it that way.

Apparently, one of the wires vibrated into an adjoining hard spot, fraying the insulation and grounded the whole setup, thereby blowing the fuze.

It sounds like you have dome a similar searching but somewhere, something is grounding out causing evil.

Is your bike all stock or do you have any custom lighting in it?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Swap back to OEM lights in case you have aftermarket and check all your grounds. Sounds like a bad ground to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would check the bulb sockets. Due to vibration and/or corrosion these pieces tend to come apart inside. Once the positive terminal comes loose it will slide/vibrate over and short out instantly causing that 10amp fuse to blow. Several people have experienced this issue with several different Kawasaki models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts