Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking of converting the 12 to a track only bike.

I've thought about this for a long time on and off, and as I have the H2 as well, I don't get to ride the 12 on road as much.

I'd like any input from those who have done this regarding removing all unnecessary gear like lights etc, and if any particular need to alter the electrical system or ok just taking these things off and leaving plug ends as is.

Also, without changing to lighter wheels (which would be good, but another expense), any other tuning/set ups that would help.

I have Racetech internals in front forks, shock is stock (at the moment), have Healtech QS, upgraded Nissin radial brakes and zx14 radial MC. The engine I have covered in previous build thread - basically JE piston/cylinder kit 1287, carrillo rods, stage 2 head work, profiled cams, MTC clutch basket etc etc. I know how it goes against current litre class from track ride days - slow on corners, fast on straights!

I plan on removing as much as possible, and if the bug bites hard enough, then de-register it as a committed track bike.

Thoughts? Reprimands?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would think there are better alternatives. I suggest seeing what you can get by selling your 12 and getting a 1000cc or less. Are there a lot of 12s for sale in Australia? I would assume there are very few, so you would be able to get enough to get a lighter bike (making it a much better platform for the track) and some change to mod that bike. Plus you wont be taking an iconic bike off the road...

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair comments,

Only reason I am thinking of using the 12 for track is I don't expect to be at the top end of the group, and I've done about 15 two day track rides over the years on the 12, so quite comfortable with using it. Not really wanting to beat all, but I know after the engine mods I've done it holds it's own very well. I enjoy the 12 even despite it's weight and length. I also don't want to sell it - tried that recently and for various reasons it came back to me which I'm glad of!

I've just been looking on ebay at some of the aftermarket fairing sets, thinking is I keep the OEM set and use the ebay set for track. Would save damaging the OEM in a relatively minor slide.

Still thinking this through...

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
ive stripped down a harness to just the bare minimum for a race bike. the j box literally was replaced by 1 fuse holder. no key switch etc. its a huge job

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
It’s easy to set wheelbase to 57 inch which is on par with a few liter bikes. Could shorten up a bit too. Also a 520 chain and sprockets. Webike sells the 520 17 tooth front and 520 rears for zx10s (ie 2009) fit the 12 hub.
The 12 rims are actually not that heavy. Not much of a gain over aftermarket aluminum wheels.

cmg

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
The newer ZX10 rims would prob save some weight, but haven't seen any cheap sets in AU lately...

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas,

Probably wouldn't go as far as you Scott in stripping back the wiring etc. Just want to make sure leaving items disconnected won't confuse the system - obviously not!

Shortening the wheel base slightly is a good idea, simple but likely effective.

Yeah, the wheels aren't that much of a problem, I'm initially going to keep it a simple conversion to begin with to see how much I get into it. If not practical for me then easily changed back to road use.

Don.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
some things need tricked into still thinking that they work. the whole starter interlock system can get fooled by grounding a wire at the ecu and removing the rest. the key switch needs a resistor put in. what i did was rewire the handle bar switch to be the "key" and the tether kill became the "kill switch".

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
some things need tricked into still thinking that they work. the whole starter interlock system can get fooled by grounding a wire at the ecu and removing the rest. the key switch needs a resistor put in. what i did was rewire the handle bar switch to be the "key" and the tether kill became the "kill switch".
“Starter interlock” ? Are you talking about kick stand switch and clutch handle?

cmg

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
those are part of the system yes

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think first thing I will do is take the 12 to the new "The Bend" track over here at Tailem Bend, this will give me an idea if I'm serious enough to turn it to a track bike or just occasional track day bike.

I'm part way through getting the H2 tuned up again so I can take that to the track as well (done a 2 day Philip Island track days in Nov '17 on it). Mind you, it is likely to spoil any need to track the 12! Will see. I've added a little "extra" to the H2 and need to get it Woolich reflashed with dyno tune plus data logging on road first.

Ha! after reading what I just typed, I think the H2 is going to possibly wipe any memory of the 12 on the track!

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
how close are you to a top speed event?

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
how close are you to a top speed event?
Non existent really, besides one salt lake event in the middle of Australia once a year

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
you guys need to take over a runway and have some fun without the salt!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott like Steve said we are not lucky enough to have a runway or designated LSR event over here (apart from the salt lake). That would be ideal if so, but alas not.

I feel very envious of those with access to these venues, a relatively safe way to let the bikes off the leash.

I think there was talk of The Bend having a top speed track built, but not done so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,263 Posts
I think even most top speed events around the country for Cars arent run anymore, the only current one being 1000m - in Albany, WA also once a year. They wont allow bikes to run "due to insurance purposes"
If The Bend held an event, that would be sweet. The main straight is long enough and it looks like a great facility.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you wan't to convert your ZX12 to a race bike -Do it!!! Doesn't matter what others think... Only thing I'd do is to convert it in such a way you can put it back into "stock" mode, if you later decide it was not the best idea you had.... I think you'll end up having a blast riding the track blowing the 600cc off the track when you ride passed. OK, so you'll loose a little in the corners, but what the hell... Who are the guys/girls at the track going to be talking about? Not the 50 odd 600 or 1000cc bikes, everyone will be talking about that one "crazy" bloke who came to the track, unloaded this big old dinosaur of a bike out of his van and gave a big -F&% You! to all the "real&cool" track bike riders and had a good time doing it (and scared the poop outta himself a couple of times when coming in a little to hot into the corner at the end of the main straight) :grin2:

(This my thinking and how I will do it!)

-Let it Roaaaarrrrrr!!!

/Tom >:)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mefirst, I've done several track days at Philip Island over the years, so I know what it's like to blast past some later model bikes, only to go "Holy Crap" at the end of the straight! One of the best mods I have done is get the later radial mount forks with ZX14 Nissin calipers and radial MC, the braking now is progressive and consistent, very necessary on a big bike on the track.

Good fun and keeps me awake and alert!

I would certainly keep the bike in a road ready state so I can easily change back. At least at first till I sort out what I want to do with it in the long run.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts