Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum & thought I'd post some pictures of my recent purchase, a 1991 ZX7R for $700.
It (under choke) starts 1st time but has a slight backfire until warmed up, looks like there is a small oil leak from around the front sprocket area, throttle is a bit sticky (does not snap back) & for some reason the cooling fan is on a separate switch on the RH side of the fairing rather than coming on automatically (see all the attached pictures) but it does have braided hoses & a full, clean Ontario ownership.
Plan is to turn this into a dedicated track bike over the winter, nothing special, just a basic track bike I can have some fun on.
I plan on keeping the stock engine but having the carbs professionally cleaned.
1. What suspension work would you recommend I carry out based on the fact I am 6'1 tall & weigh in at 230lbs?
2. Where is the best place to get track bodywork - Aerotech???? - any other companies out there for this age of bike????

This is my 1st time converting a bike to track (& I'm definitely not an experienced motorcycle mechanic) so I'm looking for any advice that you can give.

Stay safe everyone, Smudger

Attachments

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Get some ebc race break pads...

Get a full exhaust....

Def springs in front, and nice rearshock...

Drop a tooth on your front spocket...

Go on a diet! Lol so much cheaper (and healthier) than lightening your bike!

Enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips '99, rear shock was definitely in the plan but don't fancy the expense of an Ohlins.

As for the diet ha ha, I'll be a lean mean fighting machine by April 2015.....maybe lol

Smudger

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you're keeping the stock front forks I'd suggest both Racetech Gold Valves and Racetech fork springs matched to your weight and intended use. Ditch the stock bodywork. Get a good aftermarket shock (or newer ZX7R shock) and aftermarket brake lines as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the tips '99, rear shock was definitely in the plan but don't fancy the expense of an Ohlins.

As for the diet ha ha, I'll be a lean mean fighting machine by April 2015.....maybe lol

Smudger
Iv had Ohlins and Nitron,for the level of riding I do Nitron are a qaulity cheaper alternative,and probably just as good.Give them your weight and they will spring it to suit.They are usually half price of Ohlins and the build qaulity as good.
K Tech do a revalve and springs for front forks,also at a good price.
That will get your suzzies sorted.:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts