Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise this may be opening up a can of worms... But here goes. I had my coolant changed last January, she's done about 4000 miles since and I want to top her up. The service guys said they used motul motocool, I'm happy with that, except I was told to top it up with the motocool expert. Now here's the thing, the expert is yellow and the stuff in there is green. I can't find a definitive yes or no to mixing it. I'd have preferred not to, but don't want to drain the system as the stuff in there is new, nor do I want to fork out for a complete change as crimbo is only around the corner... Will I be ok to mix yellow and green? There won't be too much yellow going in.

As always, your thoughts and opinions are always welcome!

Cheers
Tom!

·
Registered
909 Posts
The two predominant formulations, ethylene and propylene glycol may be mixed if you only consider their base chemical make ups.

The problem with mixing different brands of anti freeze is that their respective additive packages may not be compatible, and one could be detrimental to the other.

So, you can mix brands and have anti freeze and boil over protection, but you may or may not have pump lubrication or corrosion protection.

^^ I stole this information... made sense tho and thought it may help. Either way, I'm sure someone here has a definitive answer to this. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Waste your money on Motul or just run standard glycol and distilled water. Your choice. ;-)

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey team, what about flushing out old coolant to replace with new coolant, I am about to do the flush but not sure whether to use some tap water or demineralised water to clear out the old stuff before putting the new coolant/demin water mix in.. any thoughts people??

·
Registered
21 Posts
All I did was remove the small bolt below the thermostat cover and remove the radiator cap and burp tank cap. After it was done draining i filled it with a little bit of fresh coolant until it was all fresh and green coming out. Then filed her up and burped all the air out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts