Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pics of their 12 with those crash sliders? I live in AZ and there is so much dirt and sand in the corners around here I feel like I am dirt tracking. I sure would like a little insurance for my baby but I don't want to take away from the good looks.

TRIG
AZ Fast

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If you find something worthwhile let us know. There is no place to mount a slider on the 12. I would caution you not to use the bolt in the center of the fairing because it will likely break the engine casing when it saves your plastics.

Good luck.

Tainui

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Yep. Its been said it can't be done.

We did lose one valuable thing when losing the peri-frame - somewhere to easily mount a worthy frame slider.

I have an idea that I've been thinking on for about 6 months, after making the 12 totally naked twice.

I am going to work on it in practice this winter, thats the best I can offer at this point. But like all things I do, it will work well with the aesthetics of the bike, or I won't talk about it.

It is going to be an interesting endeavor, thats for sure.

I can tell you this though, saving the plastic is not my number one priority. The frame and engine are.

Financial backers on this endeavor are welcomed... (JK) :lol:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Well, what really got me going on this was seeing DenverYZF's bike after the "Bambi" encounter.

There is NO question in my mind that those frame sliders saved his motor and frame, and potentially his crankshaft.

We are talking the diff. between a $1500 laydown and a $5000 laydown.

And I'm telling you I saw the sliders first person. The right one is worn down at least 1/2 inch.

I want that on my side if (god forbid) I go down hard. At that point its all just minimizing damage, yes? :cry:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Not enough...

Build a better mousetrap? Thats what I'm trying to do....

We can solve this problem guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I'll just carry the max insurance with no deductable. That way no matter what, it will get fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The next thing to look at would be harden ign. cover and stator cover, when the bike is down and slidein thats where it will be(most of the time).

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
I definately agree that the engine covers could be much stronger. They feel like if you look at one too hard it will crack. :evil:

·
Registered
889 Posts
usedtobeTainuiNYC said:
If you find something worthwhile let us know. There is no place to mount a slider on the 12. I would caution you not to use the bolt in the center of the fairing because it will likely break the engine casing when it saves your plastics.

Good luck.

Tainui
I recently saw a set on a 12 at one of our local "Breakfast Runs". I whinced when I saw where they were mounted. Like you said...save the plastic at the expense of an engine :x .

·
Registered
25,299 Posts
Hey, Blitz! I'm interested in what you're talikn' about...
You looking to make some "hard points" maybe under the plastic, where you have some mounts that are solid & don't risk expensive vitals?? :shock:

I've been thinking about a set of sliders, & haven't seen any that mount without risk.

I don't know what you have in mind, but if you're interested in trying some stuff, I have access to some engineering plastics such as Nylon 66, UHMWPE, etc. This is what they're using for the bobbins that are out there now. I can get these materials in various geometries.

I think you're onto something; I'll provide some of the experimental materials if you like.

I don't know what you do, maybe you work with this kinda stuff all the time, but please let me know if anything like that would be of interest.

You can e-mail me if you like: [email protected]

Mike Thornton GO 200

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Sounds good Mike.

I am going to play around with things this winter. I've had an idea floating around in my head for a long time.

How people can help in the meantime is by sending me any good, clear photos of wrecked zx-12's, especially serious sliders that they come across.

I don't do this kind of stuff for a living, I'm just kind of like that weird professer in Back to Future. Except I hate DeLoreans... :lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Possible Copyright Infringement!?!?

-Here is the best thread from bikeland on the subject.

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=1&TID=2445

Bottom line is that there really isn't a practical place to install sliders on the 12 because of the frame design (up and over instead of around the engine). LP makes a set (as swft indicated and showed) but they mount to the side fairing bracket whick is not very stout. I guess we'll have to be extra careful and keep a cool $1K around (or full coverage and no deductable as someone else mentioned) to put your baby back together again if you just happen to lay the shiny side down. Here's the thread for those who don't have an account over there.

Crash Protectors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any body is interested I am lending my damaged 12 to R and G frame protectors at the end of the month so that they can produce a set for it. I use frame protectors on my race bikes and swear by them, I tried to find some for the 12 and had no results.
As soon as they are done I will post photo's and info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

harryzx-12

Zone Head
posted April 20, 2002 08:41 AM
Thanks

Where will they mount to?

swft

Pro
Somnolent
posted April 20, 2002 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info! Can't wait to see them!

ninjamissile

Novice Class
posted April 22, 2002 04:25 AM
It`s about bloody time!!!!

I have been looking for crash protectors for over a year now and so far nothing!. I`ve tried Japan, Europe, Canada and the good old U.S of A. Every one says there`s no suitable mounts for them. When they are ready I will definitly buy some.

Ninja Missile

SAFE4NOW

Parking Attendant
JUST BRING IT !
posted April 22, 2002 06:27 AM
IM IN TOO... PLEASE

zxguy

Parking Attendant
posted April 22, 2002 08:02 AM
I've wanted some for a while as well.. but where they will mount will be the question ?

djones

Novice Class
posted April 22, 2002 08:07 AM
I could have used a set this weekend. After the races Friday night I had my bike on the trailer and got off and forgot about the Lowering Links making it tippy! SHit CRASH! Cracked the front fairing! Oh well nows it got character! HAHAHAHAHA! Need sum a dem adjustable stands I guess!
http://www.texas-offroad.com

Koz

Expert Class
posted April 22, 2002 09:18 AM
I'm in !!!

Koz

12RPilot

Expert Class
posted April 22, 2002 10:38 AM
Who volunteers to test the final product?

MikeM

Novice Class
posted April 22, 2002 12:41 PM
Mountin points

I took a look underneath all the mangled plastic after my very embarrasing, and rather scary, 15mph high side and think the way to go is to use the blanked off bolt hole on the r/h side off the engine casing. Link this to a cnc'd ally brace from two or three points on the l/h side, but the clever bit I reckon will be to use a frangible crush tube in the cross engine strut so that the impact energy is absorbed/dissipated rather than transfered to the frame and engine cases, rather like a collapsiable steering column on a car.

Well that's the theory......but R&G do protectors for lots of other bikes. www.rg-racing.com.

HULK

Parking Attendant
posted April 22, 2002 02:11 PM
I'M UP FOR A PAIR OF SLIDERS ,I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR 2 YRSFOR SOME!

dougmeyer

posted April 22, 2002 02:16 PM
I've been trying to figure out where to mount some for two years. We'd make 'em If I could see a place to mount 'em.
Doug

12RPilot

Expert Class
posted April 22, 2002 02:56 PM
No takers? OK dammit, I'll test the things myself!!!

sossei

Parking Attendant
posted April 23, 2002 04:54 PM Edited By: sossei on 23 Apr 2002 16:59
the new parts unlimited catalog has some sliders made by lightning products. says there is no fairing mods required to install them either. has anyone seen or heard of anyone with these?

magzx12r

Novice Class
posted April 23, 2002 08:29 PM
I ordered some Magic Mushroom frame sliders from Revolution Superbikes back in November. They still have not come in yet. They must still be in the design phase.

jse20

Novice Class
posted April 23, 2002 08:39 PM
Magic Mushrooms

Here is a photo of some installed MM sliders installed on a 2000 zx12. Looks like they cut the fairing to install. I dont know how you would avoid cutting.

http://www.bits-a-bikes.co.uk/motrax/gaphics/mushie_20pictures/MMK2_20ZX12R_20pic_2001.jpg

princesskiwi

posted April 24, 2002 06:13 PM
I need a set for my ZX6-R.
Problem being the bolt holes are too short and the frame saver/sliders, just snap off on my bike.

Hubbie bought me a set of Aluminum ones that 'someguy' had made, but I wasn't ready to be the first one out to test them.

Expensive R&D on my end, you know?

dougmeyer

posted April 25, 2002 08:13 AM
Yeah,
One of my "design criteria" was no fairing cutting. I decided no way.
Doug

MikeM

Novice Class
posted May 20, 2002 01:04 PM
Frame protectors: update adn request to doug Meyer

The latest hot poop news.... R&G never picked up the bike, didn't hear from them for two weeks and then told me they had another one. I don't want to run them down but they knew nothing about the 12 so little concerned what they are going to do.
Based on this I have done some design work, I am an engineer by profession, and am 95% confident with what I have done. They are going to mount using a well braced and supported part of the frame with a triangulated support. No fairing cutting is involved as of yet. The prototypes are being made next week, and should be out on my business partners bike for evaluation and feedback in 3-4 weeks. projected price is in the region of £120(uk) and will endeavour to keep price as low as possible for users of this site. As soon as I am able I will post pics and info to anyone interested, to receive this please drop me an e-mither to [email protected].
On a similar note, Doug, you said in an earlier posting in this thread that you had looked at this problem before and had not seen a way of doing it without cutting the fairing. I think I saw a way of doing it after about 10 minutes and this worries me. Not because you have got it wrong, more likely I have! Could you drop me an e-mail and then I can give you an idea of what we are looking at and you could give me your feedback, this would be much appreciated.

beansbaxter

Zone Head
2002 Blue ZX-12R
posted May 20, 2002 04:03 PM
I saw some...check out

http://www.givi.it/indexe.htm

and click on products, then accesories and various

Maybe that helps.

MikeM

Novice Class
posted June 01, 2002 01:04 PM
Latest update

Well, design work is all done. Included laying a 12 on its' side and measurimg contact points. Prototype is being made in the next week or so. Will be black anodised 6082 T-6 aluminium with Cast Nylon 6 sliders, securely mounted from the frame. Will be doing some product testing, laying the bike on its' side with protectors fitted and some impact testing to check the strength of the mountings and then all being well on sale in the next 4 weeks. Am also looking into a complete "crash protector" package with fork leg and swingarm protectors. Update soon, hang on in there any one waiting!!!!

MikeM

Novice Class
posted June 01, 2002 01:06 PM
P.S.

R & G racing gave up, said it couldn't be done. Had a look at the givi product and it looks like a set of 1940's frame bars. Doesn't really gel with the 21st century 12!!!

swft

Pro
Somnolent
posted June 01, 2002 02:45 PM
THanks for the news, Mike. Was that your design work or what?

ninjamissile

Novice Class
posted June 03, 2002 02:06 PM
Count me in!

MikeM

Count me in buddy. Like I said before I want these real bad. Also, I saw your post on Busa to the Max about a full race type body kit for the 12. Any news on this yet?.

Ninja Missile

MikeM

Novice Class
posted June 03, 2002 02:23 PM
Bodywork

Ninja, first off we are just going to do a race or road version of the standard 12 bodywork, in fibreglass. The laminator/mould maker is ready for us, the jubilee bank holiday weekend has put things back a week or so, but everything should be ready for 2-3 weeks.
Plans for the next step: produce a slimmed down seat unit, possibly with an integral LED tail light a la R1. Would like to do an underseat exhaust system, similar to the ducati GP prototypes seen in the press which would mean a dedicated seat unit.
I am in a loose partnership with another 12 owner who has a kit car company and we intend on producing for retail the crash protectors, fairings, Ohlins steering damper mounting kit, heavy duty alternator and clutch covers plus more stuff in the future. However talk is cheap, so we will get the frame protectors and fairings out first.

swft

Pro
Somnolent
posted June 05, 2002 04:58 AM
Picked these up yesterday:

Lockhart Phillips actually *gasp* had em in stock!

My thoughts regarding these:

1. They aren't solid enuff! C'mon, they bolt to that weenie lil bracket on the side of the motor! But then again, these are *exactly* the same ones that are sold for the ZX6R Necromancer has run for two years, and they've worked through some *horrendous* crashes!

2. I helped take a RC51 apart that had sliders that bolted directly to the motor. After a lowside at Daytona, Mike Sullivan (AMA #74) took off on the bike again and after getting up on the high bank, the motor went *kachunk*. So he pulled in the clutch and got off the track. Postmortem: The lowside was enough of an impact to crack the engine case IN HALF!!! Seems that the design never called for a side load like that to be placed onnit! Now I don't think that'd be a problem with the 12, but given my choice, I'd rather replace the bracket than the cylinder block.

BlackMandingoWarrior

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2002 06:50 AM
Man, Those Things Are Huge!!!

I've always considered mounting sliders on those fairing mounting brackets but my concern is the strength and length of the screw used to mount everything. I would think that a new fairing mounting bracket would be designed to accept a beefier fastener to mount the sliders. I would also think the sliders could then be designed to eliminate the rubber grommet used to hold the fairing in place.

swft

Pro
Somnolent
posted June 05, 2002 07:06 AM
A while ago I posted much the same idea. I *would* prefer a beefier mount, but my experience says that it's not entirely necessary.

BlackMandingoWarrior

Expert Class
posted June 05, 2002 08:01 AM
What About the Screw??

Seems to me if the same screw used to secure the fairing is used to secure the slider, it will snap off with little effort (that's a pretty small screw), especially since the slider is so long. After that you're grinding away the fairing!?!? How much were those??

zxguy2

Parking Attendant
posted June 05, 2002 10:45 AM
as long as they protect it from a 0 mph fallover I'm happy

that's what keeps happening to me.. dammit

plus they might look cool

MikeM

Novice Class
posted June 07, 2002 12:40 PM
Slider mounting on 12

Guys, your thoughts on using the engine as a stressed mount for sliders agreed with all the R+D I've done and went against all my engineering experience. I work as a consultant engineer in the railway industry in the UK.

Our sliders are going to use machined aluminium mounting plates using a through frame braced mount with nylon sliders. They will be black anodised and use black nylon to match the 12's looks as closely as posiible.

The only thing that concerns me is you seem to want your cake and eat it, for a slider to protect the frame and engine it will have to project out from the bike some way, it's your choice if you don't want to lose some of the bikes' looks but don't complain when you throw it down the road and have lots of damage that could have been prevented!!

BlackMandingoWarrior

Expert Class
posted June 07, 2002 06:34 PM
Hey Mike....

Do you have a drawing of the device and mounting location??? I'm having a little trouble visualizing!?!?

MikeM

Novice Class
posted June 08, 2002 12:40 AM
Drawings...no way!!!

Dude, if I show drawings before copywright is registered I'm out of business!!!!!

Will be able to do better than drawings in aprox. 10 days with photos of kit, kit mounted on bike and bike on its' side to show effecctivness.

10 days and counting.

BlackMandingoWarrior

Expert Class
posted June 08, 2002 07:07 AM
Doesn't Get Better Than That!!

Thanks!!

Ballisticzx12r

Expert Class
posted June 12, 2002 09:31 PM
Keep Me posted

I havetrack day at Road America I would a set prior.
Deadline to to the States... July 25, 2002.
Bart

Zhooligan

Pro
posted June 12, 2002 10:05 PM
Keep us posted mike. I am really interested in the results. My HRC kitted, MVR built and set-up RC51 (well over a hundred K invested) was killed at Daytona because of the sliders. The RC51 sliders mount to the engine bolts that attach to the front cyclinder. My Rider crashed twice in practice and qualifying. Damage appeared to be minimal.

With just a few minutes of final practice left a couple hours prior to the start of the race, running 180 down the back stretch the bike started vibrating. My rider shut the engine down, pulled in the clutch and brought it to a stop. It appeard that we either broke a crank or pitched a rod.

Upon returning from Daytona we pulled the engine to find that the crash protectors had protected the frame and other components, but the side load / impact litterally sheared or cracked the forward cylinder off!! The block was toast and absolutely nothing else was damaged! It did not so much as score the cyclinder! The frame slider saved a couple thousand dollars worth of body work and misc. stuff at the cost or at least could have cost my rider his life and totaled a hundred thousand dollar piece of equipment!

Needless to say I question the side loading of the engine.

Ballisticzx12r

Expert Class
posted June 18, 2002 03:52 PM
Any Update

I would like a set of sliders also have a track day scheduled for July 30-31 at Road America. Although I hope to never test them I would like a set prior to the day if possible.
Thanks,
Bart

MikeM

Novice Class
posted June 20, 2002 12:47 PM
Latest, latest update!

Have got the quote from the machine shop for the production versions, am working on simplifying the design slightly to reduce the cost.

Will keep you all updated.

big12

Novice Class
posted June 21, 2002 07:04 AM
Definitley need a set. Keep up the good work.

beansbaxter

Zone Head
2002 Blue ZX-12R
posted August 09, 2002 11:12 PM
So does anyone have any frame sliders at all??? I cant find any.

Everyone is not saying the LP ones are any good, so are they just not worth getting?

For my 02, will I have to cut anything, or are they bolt-on?

vozizm

Expert Class
posted September 04, 2002 10:32 AM
any updates on frame sliders???/

VOZ!

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted September 04, 2002 03:38 PM
i actually ran into a guy at sportbikewest on an identical 12 (silver 00 model) who user 9r sliders. attached them to the primary fairing mount point on each side. of course it's not a super strong mount point, but it's worked well for him in a couple minor tip overs (never a real crash tho i think). got me to thinking tho. the rather lightweight brackets at those points could work as crumple zones. there was something mentioned (in this thread i think) about sliders attached to the engine raiding the possibility of cracking the block. assumably attaching them to the frame could damage the frame in a hard impact too. so maybe a little crushable bracket is just what's called for. strong enough to not get destroyed in a simple tipover, but weak enough to take the brunt of the impact in a real crash. replace a coupla $10 brackets & ur good as new. even kept the winglets from damage in the tip overs he's had.

beansbaxter

Zone Head
2002 Blue ZX-12R
posted September 04, 2002 05:41 PM
Did he use the 9R sliders that LP offers?

vozizm

Expert Class
posted September 04, 2002 06:31 PM
what year 9.. i had some on my 00' 9r that i got from www.kneedraggers.com made by intuitive.{spelling suxs}.. hope someone could show pic if avail?

VOZ!

swft

Pro
Somnolent
posted September 04, 2002 06:50 PM
Those are the same sliders, work for the 6,9,12. I posted pics of them awhile ago. See my post above on 5 June.

vozizm

Expert Class
posted September 04, 2002 06:56 PM
SWFT;... Those are different than the ones i had... mine on 00 9r were more like a mushroom shaped thingy

VOZ!

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted September 05, 2002 12:19 AM
yeah the ones i saw also had more of a mushroom head. i'm sure they were shorter overall too. but those would prolyl work better cause of the extra length. mind u, the shorter ones should be less likely to bend. eh, either will do the job methinks. better n letting the winglet act as a slider every damn time.

swft

Pro
Somnolent
posted September 05, 2002 10:31 AM
Ah! My bad. These were cheap, and *gasp* available. :0

MikeM

Novice Class
posted September 07, 2002 04:59 AM
The problems with the frame sliders is, for my design at least, now in a vicious circle. There is a mounting point available which will not overstress the frame or engine cases but... because this point is so far from where the sliders need to be to actually be of any worth, the length of the mounting bracket is producing a significant amount of leverage on the mounting position/bolt. I'm not 100%, being honest not even 50%, convinced that what I originally thought of as a workable design will actually perform as it should. I don't have the ability, or money, to carry out any meaningful testing so everything has to be over engineered.

Thinking around the problem, there is a comapny in the UK called engine armour who make c/f case covers for the 12 and they say that they can be made up to 12mm thick. Even if the slider design comes to nothing these might be a way of minimising damage if/when the bike goes over.

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted September 07, 2002 11:09 AM
well, what about the idea of using a crushible mount for the slider? then u could attache it straght to the engine or frame but not worry so much about damage to said components. as i mentioend earlier, the fairing bracket works in this way, but the bracket is too tall, so once it has crashed, the slider would be so far down that the bodywork & case woudl be draggin un their their full weight, laregly negating the benefit of the sliders. but if a purpose built crushable mount were made with more strength, particularly lateral strength, that may be the answer. it could actually be a very strong mount, just have to crush a bit before the forces get high enough to damage the engine or frame.

·
Registered
25,299 Posts
Guys, I've read thru the thread from earlier, and there's a lot of good points discussed. I would like to contribute some ideas as you go on this, blitz... If you're going to tackle it as a cold-weather project...

But first, I'm going to study my frame more carefully for mounting points and try not to expose my (plentiful) ignorance.

My thoughts run along this line:
Big, beefy bungs look like dammit & probably put the (expensive) mounting points @ risk, but they protect the plastic better.
Little, less fugly ones are easier on the eyes, but when the going gets horizantal, they're much more likely to evaporate. Also, by the time things get that exciting, chances are that the plastic's history anyway, so...

Why not have another bung set UNDER the plastic to protect the really expensive goodies? And, if they have to be mounted to "sensitive" points, perhaps they could be engineered to bend / break before snapping an engine mount hole, etc.

Just a little free thinkin'.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Interesting read....

I'm headed in a different direction though.

I do agree with Doug though, it must work without design changes to the plastic.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts