Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2000 ZX12 that has a Powercommander 3 USB and an exhaust system that consists of a stock header, catalytic converter delete, and Scorpion Tagma silencer (which according to the Scorpion website was designed for a GSXR 1000). The exhaust system was put together well and fits nicely and sounds awesome, but I am not sure what MAP to tune the Powercommander with. The guy I got the bike from said he just put it in before selling the bike and never tuned it. Anyone have any suggestions? Dynojet doesn't offer a Scorpion system MAP so I was thinking of using a MAP for a similar type of system?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The slim chance you have of it getting tuned correctly will be on a dyno with tuning link software. Hell they can`t get most muzzy pipes to run right with a custom tune.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
With a stock header, just run the MAP designed for a STOCK bike. The deleted cat and aftermarket can doesn't free up that much exhaust wise. The major restriction in the exhaust is the header.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I would run the stock map for stage 1 and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
With a stock header, just run the MAP designed for a STOCK bike. The deleted cat and aftermarket can doesn't free up that much exhaust wise. The major restriction in the exhaust is the header.

sure it does.It`s all about the back pressure .If nothing is in the way to slow it down and the outlet hole is larger you got big tuning problems. The 12r has always not liked exhaust mods.
Where`s Doug Meyer when ya need him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys...i will see how the stock tune runs...i plan to get it on a dyno this summer, hopefully after getting a full system. my friend is putting a full muzzy on his ZX12 now so we will have some good comparison opportunities.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yeah. A static tune will get you close. A dynamic tune would get you closer...A static tune don't really account for RAM Air effect.

See the many other "discussions" on that for input...ain't discussing that one again...:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i fully understand the concepts of ram air and different ways to tune a vehicle, i just have most of my experience on four wheels not two. and i am just looking to get the bike good for the street, nothing crazy...it just has a nasty flat spot in the low end right now that bothers me haha...but again thanks for all the input! you guys have been very helpful.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That flat spot is kinda normal...tween 2,500 - 3,500...it moves around in the range depending on which exhaust you elect. A good tuner can smooth it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts