Kawasaki World banner

Dad needs help with sons bike- can tensioner

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  kawasaki mick 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me out, i have narrowed the noise on my sons 250 down to the cam tensioner or plugs. I have the cam tensioner ordered, its an oem but wasnt sure if the install is as simple as take the old out and put the new in. I dont ride, i dont work on bikes, but i am very mechanical. I diid take his bike up the street to hear the noise so did my own reseach on what it could be. I spent every dollar i had on this bike for him but now i dont want him riding it until its fixed, this noise developed 2 weeks after buying it off craigslist, my luck stinks. Any help will sure be appreciated, Thanks

#2 ·
i have tried searching for any tutorials but they all seem to be for the 07 and down, can anyone point me to a link, the bike came with no manual or anything. I did an oil change when we got it and have read and watched videos on the valve adjustments just in case but cant find any write-ups or videos on the cct.

#3 ·
Can you describe the noise better? Take a long screwdriver or piece of wood (like a dowel or broom handle) and put one end at various spots on the engine and the other end on your ear to narrow down where the noise is located the loudest. This will give you an idea of where to look, as well as help with diagnosis.

#4 ·
its hard to describe, it ticks real loud almost like rapping noise that goes along with the rpm, it does seem to have lost some power also. Like i stated i do not have a license so i can only drive it on my street but can hit 3rd gear before slowing down, the entire time you can hear this noise, metal slapping i guess you give it gas it gets faster, let off and it gets slower. i would say like a car with no oil noise, but this has oil, lol.

#5 ·
Time to narrow down where it is the loudest. Valve noise could be like that, as could a cam chain guide being worn out or broken. Check compression to check the valves. Both problems can cause loss of power. Might get lucky and just have a bad tensioner as well....could pull that out and check for damage while you're digging around. Be sure to lock it and replace it properly to avoid engine damage. Not sure what the tensioner is on a 250, but most are simple. Unlock, compress, lock, install, unlock. Not doing it right could mess up your chain guides and other things...

#7 ·
Pull the old tensioner out. If you are mechanical, you'll see how they work. It's simple. I can't say for certain what design is on there. Self adjusters have a plunger that moves out to take up chain slack. Little grooves prevent it from returning. Resetting them is simple. You release that lock that keeps it from returning (might be a bolt head on the end) and reset the plunger all the way into the tensioner, then lock it in place and put it in the head. Then you just unlock it and it snaps out and you're done.

#10 ·
Take your time and you'll be alright. There's nothing to it really. With any luck, one of those will cure it.

#12 ·
be sure to put the motor at tdc before pulling out the tensioner

#15 ·
Thanks guys, tried the plugs first, a little better but noise is still there more on the right side of the bike. I put a wooden dowel on it with my ear to it and it seems like the chain area. What i am also finding out is he and his friend already pulled the tensioner out, without settinf it at tdc, looks like dad has some work to do now. New part will be arriving tommorrow but i wont be able to get to it until the weekend. Atleast it gives me some more time to go over the procedure to get the bike to tdc and possibly check the valves.

#16 ·
Did he pull it out and put it back in? Being at TDC is not going to make or break ya. Long as the engine does not move, it will be fine. I've swapped plenty in bikes and cars without being at TDC without issue. If he pulled it out and replaced it without resetting it....DON'T RUN THE ENGINE! You can do a lot of damage if there is too much tension on the chain guide, or worse, if there ain't enough and a valve smacks a piston.

#17 ·
. Long as the engine does not move, it will be fine. .
thats the problem, it very well could have. you shouldnt pull out a tensioner at the wrong place.

#18 ·
Spose. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is as attentive as I am. I'm used to just knowing how to do it and running with it...haha.

#19 ·
Kawasakis do have noisy primary chains an balancers sounds camchainy if it's owt like my old z250 twin it was rattley, ape cam chain tension ers are best on kawasaki s. Check for ally shavings in oil to check if camchain has been digging the inside to bits,if not fit new adjuster treat engine slik 50

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.