Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd quickly report on the new grips fitted last month. I'm a big fan of heated grips and I've always fitted Oxford hot grips.

I found Datatool made some and after a big of Googling decided to buy some.

The Datatool grips are a design and function revelation over Oxford I must say.

Oxford have a controller to fit as well as another box to be incorporated, they also should be wired into an ignition live to avoid battery discharge if left on.

Nothing wrong with them at all still great but I think the game has moved on a fair bit.

Datatool grips have no control box, no extra heat controller to mount and just the two wires to come off the battery. They also have a magnetic slide switch that is incorporated into the left grip and is virtually unnoticeable. The system uses clever technology to recognise that the engine is not running so shut them off. I think they must only work on a certain voltage say 13v which is the case when engine is on. At rest they don't work.. There is a little LED incorporated into the throttle grip to let you know they are on. Four heat settings by way of a waterproof magnetic sliding switch. No internals are exposed to the elements..

Performance is exceptional and hot!

Only one tiny tiny tiny drawback is they are about 2mm OD bigger then Oxford items so if you’re not a fan of thicker than stock grips you may turn your nose at these.

User verdict for fitting (super easy 10/10) performance (10/10) integration and usability (10/10)

Verdict GET THEM !!

BTW I don't work for Datatool :crackup:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have heater gloves, just plug myself into the bike when I get on and off we go, downside is re-fueling as you need to unplug yourself to walk to the cashier.....lol.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Fair Play, :thumbup:

Test them out for us

Long term test.

How much were they

The latest, Oxford Version 8 Controller, has 5 heat settings, 1 control box, and auto off.

One thing I've noticed about the Datatool Grips, they seem to make the grip a bit short, a bit 'thick' next to the throttle/switch housing.

Thanx Dave.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like your dash panels and inners, is that adhesive vinyl or aftermarket parts?

Simple vinyl, allow lots of time to get right each piece can take 20 mins plus and lots of careful heating stretching :rant:

I paid £57 for the grips brand new.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i just got a set of oxford premiium touring grips from the BMF at £35 instaed of the usual£79
they look great very warm and comfortable and the grip is just right
They not the bulky ones you usually see.
the other good thing about the oxfords is you can get spares cheap and easily off ebay .
i kow 2 other guys with 12's and they never had heated grips and guess what they are fitting now .
I was going to go for the datatoll ones but again the comments above about how fat the grips are .
hope this helps
Paul

·
Registered
425 Posts
Now that the weather is turning colder, heated grips would be nice on my way into the office at 5:00am but those look like they reduce the grip width and I'm already gripping the bar end-weights and wearing the paint off them--can't afford to loose any more grip width.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Now that the weather is turning colder, heated grips would be nice on my way into the office at 5:00am but those look like they reduce the grip width and I'm already gripping the bar end-weights and wearing the paint off them--can't afford to loose any more grip width.
Hi, if you regularly comute in the colder weather, you may want to consider the many options of heated clothing that are available. I use the bodywarmer and inner gloves by Keis. They make a huge difference to comfort. :thumbup:

Keis Heated Motorcycle Clothing, Heated Gloves, Heated Clothes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts