Kawasaki World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
PLease EXPLAIN.... De Rake.. You want less rake? Swapping yokes won't change the rake period ! Rake is set by the frame. Offset is set by the yokes. You can change the offset with adjustable yokes which I have on my own 12R.. BKG makes the nicest yokes on the planet. They are a German company. They have made 12R yokes in the past that were sold by SP12R another German company that's now gone. Attack can make you some nice Yokes as well. They don't make the 12R units per say but the 2002 and up 12R uses the same stem as the 14 and 10R as far as bearing size goes. I know the 14 yokes will swap over as Shane has done it. Now sure the 10R will since I'm not sure about the stem length between the two. The 00 and 01 12R will NOT swap over to a 14 or 10R since the top bearing is smaller like all the older Kawasaki's such as the ZX9R and 7R.. With that said Attack list yokes for the ZX9 and 7 so it's a very real possibility they could make you what you need without you having to pay for design time. Hope this helps.

ONE LAST THOUGHT-------------------> Choppers and Chopper builders do indeed use raked yokes. So it's not completely true that you can't change the rake with yokes. With that said no one does that kind of BS on Sport bikes that I have ever heard of or seen. They have like 5 degree raked trees 3 degree raked trees, etc for the chopper boys. For some reason splitting the rake between the frame and the trees makes a chopper handle much better than having it all in the frame. All in the frame on really long choppers causes what is known as chopper flop. Sounds funny I know but Chopper Flop is when the front wheel once passing a certain amount of steering input will just flop all the way to the steering stop if you aren't holding it back. Splitting the rake as I said above for some reason stops or greatly lessens that from taking place..

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I assume that he is talking about triples with less offset, as used in drag racing (based on his avatar). Hays used to make those. If he gives his frame to McIntosh, they should be able to change the rake and/or short neck it. They can do it on a 14, I see no reason they can't do a 12R. It's actually fairly reasonable in cost, considering. :thumbup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PLease EXPLAIN.... De Rake.. You want less rake? Swapping yokes won't change the rake period ! Rake is set by the frame. Offset is set by the yokes. You can change the offset with adjustable yokes which I have on my own 12R.. BKG makes the nicest yokes on the planet. They are a German company. They have made 12R yokes in the past that were sold by SP12R another German company that's now gone. Attack can make you some nice Yokes as well. They don't make the 12R units per say but the 2002 and up 12R uses the same stem as the 14 and 10R as far as bearing size goes. I know the 14 yokes will swap over as Shane has done it. Now sure the 10R will since I'm not sure about the stem length between the two. The 00 and 01 12R will NOT swap over to a 14 or 10R since the top bearing is smaller like all the older Kawasaki's such as the ZX9R and 7R.. With that said Attack list yokes for the ZX9 and 7 so it's a very real possibility they could make you what you need without you having to pay for design time. Hope this helps.

ONE LAST THOUGHT-------------------> Choppers and Chopper builders do indeed use raked yokes. So it's not completely true that you can't change the rake with yokes. With that said no one does that kind of BS on Sport bikes that I have ever heard of or seen. They have like 5 degree raked trees 3 degree raked trees, etc for the chopper boys. For some reason splitting the rake between the frame and the trees makes a chopper handle much better than having it all in the frame. All in the frame on really long choppers causes what is known as chopper flop. Sounds funny I know but Chopper Flop is when the front wheel once passing a certain amount of steering input will just flop all the way to the steering stop if you aren't holding it back. Splitting the rake as I said above for some reason stops or greatly lessens that from taking place..
the class were running is limited to 67in wheelbase. what I mean by derake is to move the front axel closer to the motor so I can add length to the arm that way the weight is further forward.if you take a look at some of the big pro street bike and grudge bikes most run deraked trees

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume that he is talking about triples with less offset, as used in drag racing (based on his avatar). Hays used to make those. If he gives his frame to McIntosh, they should be able to change the rake and/or short neck it. They can do it on a 14, I see no reason they can't do a 12R. It's actually fairly reasonable in cost, considering. :thumbup:
thankyou

·
Registered
480 Posts
What model 12R do you have? You are talking about changing the offset like Shane described above. To be honest with you just about any shop with a CNC Mill can build you those but you'll need to know exactly what you want if you go that way. I would want them made from 7075 Aluminum if I were you instead of 6061 which will be what most shops will have on hand. 2024 would also be a good choice.

·
Registered
480 Posts
that sounds good I was thinking of 1.5 in to2in would you have a draft of what it would look like.

All that I have ever seen look like this since there's no other way to make them look really. Actually here's the easiest deal for you. All the forks used on late model sport bikes are the same size from one to another on the open end stuff anyway. Top clamp is usually 52mm and lower clamp is 54mm I think anyway with a 43mm tube. Why not buy a set of these designed for a Busa and simply change the stem? You thought about going that rout?

·
Registered
805 Posts

All that I have ever seen look like this since there's no other way to make them look really. Actually here's the easiest deal for you. All the forks used on late model sport bikes are the same size from one to another on the open end stuff anyway. Top clamp is usually 52mm and lower clamp is 54mm I think anyway with a 43mm tube. Why not buy a set of these designed for a Busa and simply change the stem? You thought about going that rout?
Some good advice that...might be the cheapest option!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

going to take a better look at this option chavcat and I were talking about this route .might be best way to go thanks slingshot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts