Kawasaki World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I have this perfect black 2004 zx-12r . One day I completely drained the oil. Added new oil and changed oil filter. Then when I ran the bike, there was no oil pressure. I was stupid enough to keep it running for about 10mins and revved thinking it will establish pressure. STUPID~! Then I read online you will have to open the filter just a little to let air out....

Anyways.. then oil pressure came back. Bike ran normal. I went out and did 140mph. Then I parked the bike for a year. This summer, when I ran it, I felt the idle became a little rough. It surges a little. Not too much though.

Is it because of spark plugs (I have never changed it), or fuel system clogged?

It's not burning oil, that's for sure.

If there were damages due to last oil change incident, will the idle be rough? It sounds ok when revved up....

·
Registered
19,212 Posts
Make sure battery is fully charged. I'd bet the plugs are fouled. Could be dirty injectors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
All of the prior mentioned things will likely help to get you going. But, if you ran the bike without oil pressure, for 10 minutes, while revving it up....well, there could be some issues, sooner or later.

My advice to everyone is, if the oil light is on for more than a few seconds, shut it down, and try to figure out the issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To add to that, if the oil light turns on (this goes for most bikes too) it’s probably too late already and internal damage has been done. So running the bike for 10 minutes with an oil light on tells me there must be some internal wear if not damage for sure. And then you also revved the bike. I’d fear for my bigend bearings seizing up sooner or later.

I’d take off the oil pan and check the internal oil filter and for any residue in the oil pan. If it’s copper coloured particles you find.. yikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts