Kawasaki World banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody carries Ohlins R&T forks for the 12 anymore so I figure the best way to get them would be to get ones for a 14. I don't feel like dealing with an extended project though. Obviously I'd need to do a brake caliper and master cylinder swap for the radial brakes.

· Registered
3,147 Posts
Nobody carries Ohlins R&T forks for the 12 anymore so I figure the best way to get them would be to get ones for a 14. I don't feel like dealing with an extended project though. Obviously I'd need to do a brake caliper and master cylinder swap for the radial brakes.
The zx14 triple will fit your late model 12. Which is what you will need, to utilize 14 forks. You will need a 14 or zx10 front wheel and rotors. 12 rim & rotors will not work. The stock 14 clip-ons present some clearance issues. I'm using vortech clip-ons.
cmg

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping they were the same size and I could use the 14 forks with the 12 triple, guess that's a no-go, eh?

· Registered
1,912 Posts

Hi there,

Yea, Imscared did a 14 fork and rear wheel swap on his A2 ZX12,

But he did have a problem when turning at slow speed and manoeuvring, as CMG says above.

Wicked set of stoppers though.

Thanx Dave.

· Registered
3,147 Posts
The earlier model 12 has a different steering stem which requires pressing out the stem from the 14 and replacing it with the 12 stem. Not so with the later models. The late model 12s starting with the 03 hav the same stem as the 14. And is a simple bolt in. The 14 clip-ons are removable. So aftermarket ones are a option to solve the minor clearance issues.
cmg

· Registered
1,912 Posts
The earlier model 12 has a different steering stem which requires pressing out the stem from the 14 and replacing it with the 12 stem. Not so with the later models. The late model 12s starting with the 03 hav the same stem as the 14. And is a simple bolt in. The 14 clip-ons are removable. So aftermarket ones are a option to solve the minor clearance issues.
cmg

Yeh, I do remember now you mention it, from Imscared's build.

Good to get the correct info up.

Thanx Dave.

· Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
But fitting the ZX14 triples changes the steering rake angle and they're wider? Correct?

To keep the standard ZX12 rake, could you keep the bottom ZX12 triple and have a custom top clamp made up to suit the smaller top diametre of the ZX14 forks? Thus keeping the ZX12 front wheel and brake rotors...

· Registered
3,147 Posts
But fitting the ZX14 triples changes the steering rake angle and they're wider? Correct?

To keep the standard ZX12 rake, could you keep the bottom ZX12 triple and have a custom top clamp made up to suit the smaller top diametre of the ZX14 forks? Thus keeping the ZX12 front wheel and brake rotors...
Zx14 fork diameter is 53.95mm at the lower triple
Zx12 is 56mm

Mcintosh Fab. Makes adjustable billet triples, $900.

cmg

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zx12 is 56mm

cmg
Thanks! This is what I needed to know. I was hoping for a direct fork swap. I contacted Hard Racing because they still show Ohlins forks for the 12 on their site but they said they were discontinued years ago and are not available.

Looks like custom triples are required to use the 14 forks while maintaning the original chassis geometry.

Anyone know what the differences are between the 10 and the 12 front end? I see lots of those on Ebay for a reasonable price.

· Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
Zx12 is 56mm

Mcintosh Fab. Makes adjustable billet triples, $900.

cmg
ah ha - I must have misread the numbers somewhere! Cheers :thumbup:

· Registered
3 Posts
Old thread I know, but this sounds like a hell of an upgrade. I've got a 2001 ZX12R, and I f I read this correctly then I could take a complete ZX14R front end and swap the the stem and just bolt it in. If I read this wrong please correct me, I'm no pro at this by any means. I also have the wild idea of dual exhaust cause that single can on one side doesn't look balanced and it makes me crazy....🤣🤣thanks again guys, ride hard go home whole. 👊🙏

· Registered
3,147 Posts
Yes, if you swap stems then you can use a 14 front end. You will need to use gen1 or gen2 14 wheel…or a zx10 wheel. You will need a zx14 fender. If you want to use a scotts damper then you will need to do a little finagling. The bottom triple bearing seal isn’t a perfect fit. Stock 12 brake master cylinder doesn’t work either.

cmg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts