Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you drink and ride? This is a sore subject for me and I can't believe people actually do it. I've seen a couple of posts about people stopping for beers while out on a ride. I can't believe anybody would want to drink and ride even if you only had a couple of beers. I didn't ride last Saturday night but instead went out with some folks from work. We were at the bar when in comes 4 riders(one with his leather jacket still on) that I recognized from the local hangout. I said to one of them, "You guys aren't riding tonight are you"? He says, "Yep". :roll: :roll: :roll: Riding a bike deserves your full alert attention and is different than driving a car after a few drinks. I'm not saying either of them are right but handling a bike versus a car is differnt. What do you guys think about this?

G

·
0 Posts
I don't drink and ride. It's not a smart idea. Although I've seen some of the oldtimers, drink a couple of beers and it's like they drank a couple of waters. Nothing happen's. Big drinkers off the bike. Though I'm sure not all big drinkers have this kind of tolerance for booze. Either way your rolling the dice.

·
1,567 Posts
When on the bike I limit myself to ONE beer if going out "with the boys"... no more. I feel anything else is subjecting myself to a world of hurt.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
I might have one beer when I stop for lunch or dinner. I have had 2 beers when I've stopped for several hours. DON'T DRINK AND RIDE/DRIVE. I soaked up a DWI in 1986. I totaled my new Lincoln Cont. Mk VII LSC and almost killed my best friend and me. My insurance was $465 per MONTH for 3 years! And that was for only liability for a 1976 Granada! I couldn't even afford to ride my CBX.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That is a very sore subject with me too. I love to drink beer, but refuse to have even one when riding a bike, limit of 2 when driving a car. A bike takes way too much concentration and even one beer dulls your senses enough to make that close call turn into a deadly accident. I am amazed how certain (typically cruiser) groups not only drink and ride but many times center their ride around alcohol. ABATE of Iowa frequently has rides or rallys where alcohol is involved, mixing beer with of course no helmets since that is the ABATE mantra. Also many dinner rides are at bar and grills where people consume then ride away, no gear on, wife and hubby on the cruiser half crocked. Poker runs many times are from point a to point b with as many bars in between as possible.

There were statistics in the AMA magazine a while back and it was something like 80% of the one vehicle accidents involving motorcycles there was alcohol in the rider's blood.

There is a time and a place. Like our motto for the OHV parks in Iowa, "Keep the alcohol in the tank, not in the blood"

But then again, maybe I should just sit back and let Darwinism do its thing.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Guilty as charged! :roll: For the most part when I go for a ride, I go for a ride. If I run into somebody, and they want to have a beer, I'll have a beer. My job requires a CDL, my licence is my livelyhood. So No, I don't ride to have a beer persay, but will be social.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Oh yeah that's right.... it's SUNDAY. I wonder what all the PREACHIN' was about?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Good post Superninja.

I am vehemently opposed to drinking and riding. The local street club I belong to banned any alcohol for any club santioned rides back in 1994. Our Club founder Mike was killed in a head on collision by another rider who had been at the bar with a buddy. The police never released the other rider's blood alcohol as both of them died at the scene. 3 other close friends who were riding with Mike had to witness our friend killed. The worst part of it was Mike was an accomplished and safe rider who constantly worked on improving his riding. To me one beer (and I like beer) can be the difference of a hundredth second of reaction time that may save my life. I refuse to ride anywhere close to somebody who has had a few. And yes alcohol is way overpresented in single vehicle motorcycle accidents. Our local cruiser clubs exhibit the same alarming tendency to plan Poker runs from bar to bar. How some of these nuts make it home alive amazes me. If I didn't have to pay (we have public insurance in Manitoba and I already pay almost $2000/year) for these fucks to crash and get injured I'd love for darwinism to take over.

Sorry for the tone of this post, but I feel very strongly about this.

G

·
0 Posts
I limit myself to one drink when on a ride,and then only if I have something to eat with it. I certainly wouldn't ride with anyone that's
had to many. :roll:

·
4,208 Posts
Not one drop ...sip or drip.......I am completely dry when I ride ...I also choose to be dry the night before Most Big rides......I feel riding is full time concentration and don't need to be nursing any hangovers when riding on the streets......I have seen the result of both alcohol and inattention ....just my .02......Brian

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
As a rule of thumb...I never drink and drive. While on a group ride and we stop for lunch I might sip on one beer but 75% of the time, I wouldn't .
I know alot of the local harley boys like to go out to the bars and see how much they can pound down, and it makes me sick but hey..if they want to kill them selves, then go for it. Hopefully the family and I would be off the road at that time.

·
4,208 Posts
and oh yeah ....I LOVE BEER>>>>>>even a proud member of the beer of the month club ...heheh

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Riding a bike deserves your full alert attention and is different than driving a car after a few drinks. I'm not saying either of them are right but handling a bike versus a car is differnt. What do you guys think about this?
That's a dangerious outlook. Bike endangering myself if I ride after a beer.

A 2 ton automobile endangering John Q Public after drinking a beer.

Depth Perception is the killer in riding after having a few beer's. The cop's on here can vouch for that. I've had test's while consuming alcohol, A club in florida was doing test's for patron's to show you how much just a few affected ya. And you would'nt believe how much your depth perception is off after three beer's. Comming into a turn a little hotter than normal. And your inabition is also affected. Your Superman after three beer's.

80% of fatal bike crash's alcohol is involved, That's a fact.

I ain't saying anything that will incriminate me on the net. So I'm taking the fifth.

·
Registered
690 Posts
cruizin' n boozin'

When I think back to the days of bar-hopping on the bikes,I can't believe what I got away with. :shock: I am truly lucky to be typing away here with you guys.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts