Kawasaki World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I get done with this new house shopping, I want to buy a good used Dual purpose bike. I am going to use it mainly for when the roads are salty and I still want to ride in the winter.
Was wondering what brand and model you all thought was good. I do not know much about them, nor some of the different models out there.
Should I go 2 stroke/4 stroke?? Any advice would be great...

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I looked at them just before I bought the 12. Personally, and due to the crap regulations we have here in NJ, I would choose the 4 stroker. I looked at KTM's, Kawa's and Hondas. All were nice with different features to a certain extend. The KTM looked like it would handle the trail ridding better than the others. I say looked cause I don't have any trail experience with the KTM. I do have a few friends that have KTM MX bikes and love 'em. Just my $0.02. The 02 KTM I liked was a LC4 640, pic. below. Around $6,000 out the door if I recall correctly. The Kawa's and Honda are less money than the KTM.

Scott W.

Forgot to add... where you from in NH. We usually take a trip to Bretton Woods/ Mt. Wash. once every few years. Wish I was there full time !

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the same kinda bug... I wanted something that I could throw around on some dirt trails, raise a little hell, and not accumulate any more tickets :roll: I picked up a little used 99 KTM 640 LC4 and love it. Nothing like hopping on a sub 300 pound bike, going sideways, and throwing rocks. Here it is from a ride last weekend :D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Mono, my recommendation is to just go all out and get a bad ass dirt bike. Forget the dual purpose - it would be a hell of a lot more fun to have a bad ass dirt bike for dirt, and a bad ass street bike for the street (zx12 of course). You can't have near as much fun on a dual sport as you can on a true "just for dirt" bike (my opinion).

I would recommend a 4 stroke UNLESS 1) you're a SERIOUS motocrosser - then a 2 stroke 250 might be better, or 2) you're a serious power addict, lol, then you could get a KX or CR 500 2 stroke. I wouldn't recommend the 500, because it will get you dead if you ride around any trees. Too much motor unless you're just riding the desert or dunes.

My recommendation would be a Yamaha YZ 450 for MX orientation, or Yamaha WR 450 for trails, or go for the new KTM 525 - bad ass motor! Or go for a little more boring, tried and true, bullet proof Honda XR 650.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Ride a KLR to work and back everyday. Not much for dirt or trail riding, but works for me. Average around 50 MPG, 6 gallon gas tank. Also have a KTM LC4sm, has a lot more motor than the KLR. The KLR is a cheap reliable ride, the KTM is just plain fun.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Damn Saint...I think I'm turning intoa kiss ass, but you da man again!

KTM is sweet...me and the honey are looking at them.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Hey Jere, if you want to crate one and send it my way for some R+D on the hills, I'll send ya my address ! Hell, I'll even dust it off and refill the tank when I'm done......in the spring :shock: :wink: .

All kidding aside, those KTMs are awesome bikes.

Scott W.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent replies..thanks all.
Just to clarify a little, I want this bike mainly for cumuting to work on paved roads and for fun on secondary dirt roads. maybe once I gave comfy some mild off roading.
I hate to spend alot on a new bike and would prefer something cheaper but if the best advice is to go new, then I will check out the nice payment plans.
Bigsaint...I am from Enfield New Hampshire. Central erea close to Vermont border(W.R.J.) Look me up some time or let me know when your making the ride to N.H. Always ready for a ride.

·
Registered
648 Posts
DRZ400S.. Had a 2001, the 2002's now have the same suspension as the dirt only version. This bike is a true dirtbike with street legal equipment. The KTM LC is too big and heavy for serious dirt riding, the DRZ is competent enough to race (I did). Now the only difference between the street and dirt versions is a thicker base gasket, metal instead of plastic gas tank, CV instead of conventional carb, and of course the street legal equipment. I had modified mine with help from Baja Designs, and lost a bunch of weight and gained HP. Was a great bike.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
BAMmono... I'll do that if we go next year. Have big plans to let the wife take the kids in the tart kart ( mini-van) while I'll lead the way on the 12.
I wouldn't be afraid of a used bike, you can usually tell how they were maintained just by outward appearance, if ya know what I mean. Needless to say, just stay away from full knobby tires if you plan on mostly street riding, they plain suck on pavement. Good set of trials tires will be sweet for the street. Now's a great time to bike shop, for either leftover '02s that they want to move 'em out or used as the season is ending for some, especially where you live !!

Scott W.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Best dual purpose bike, bar none is a '99 Buell X1 Lightning Carbon Fiber Extreme. You ever find one for sell, jump on it!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks BS, and don't forget to let me know if ya want to hook up some time. Hell, stop by with the mini van packed with the fam and we can have mini van races. We sport a Nisan Quest mini van with four screaming kids.

Oh...and Markcbxxxxxxxxx, I wondered when the Buell would come into the duel purpose picture.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
619 Posts
MarkCBXX1zx12R said:
Best dual purpose bike, bar none is a '99 Buell X1 Lightning Carbon Fiber Extreme. You ever find one for sell, jump on it![/quote I HEARD RICKY CARMICHAEL AND TRAVIS PASTRANA BOTH RIDE BUELL LIGHTENING'S WHEN THE ARE'NT ON THIER FACTORY MOTOCROSSERS. CW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts