Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a old carb guy and don't know squat about F.I. I can't find any kind of fuel filter in the manual. Do we have one? If so, where is it? If not, why don't we need one?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I found it on 2-52 DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION (DFI) SYSTEM
It is a part of the fuel pump, it looks like a sock type filter you would find on an in-tank fuel pump in a car. The diagram only shows it as a screen in the complete setup.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Kawasaki.com and looked at the 12r's parts diagrams and I can't find anything that says 'Fuel Filter'. I don't think it's a servicable part.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Not a dumb question, at least to me. I was wondering the same since I bought the bike, never checked the manual though. I just checked and the service manual shows a pump screen mounted near the base of the pump (3-46 Fuel system ( DFI) ). It doesn't appear that the screen is removable as it states to prepare a cleaning soultion and dip the pump inside a bath of same to clean the screen. Then it states to dry the pump and screen with light compressed air. My take is that this is not a routine maintenance item and only performed when there is a underlying problem ? Maybe once every 100,000 miles :wink: , whether it needs it or not.

Scott W.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe we need a way of putting a filter on the end of the gas pump to keep from getting any nasties IN our tanks. Also, I hope our gas tanks have a good coating! :shock:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
easyrider said:
Maybe we should be putting an additional inline fuel filter on the tube coming out of the tank?
I'm with you on this one Easy. I don't see where it would do any harm. Just need to find a easy place to access it.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bigsaint said:
Just remember that different fuel filters flow at diffferent rates. Be sure to choose a filter that will not starve the pump for extra micron protection :wink:

Scott W.
I always said that my 12R sucked gas like a blackhole :lol: Might need a F-14 filter to keep it from starvin'

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I think he may have meant 2-46... Thats what page mine is on....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Still isn't the same as mine....2-46 on mine is talking about ECU fuse removal...strange

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Let me know if this link doesn't work I'll try something different...

·
Registered
303 Posts
filter

I tried an inline filter once and it didnt work so well.starved for gas a bit.
when i had my throttle body rail off once i had the injectors cleaned just for safe measure.When i picked them up i asked the tech if they were dirty.he said they were fine.so between the screen in the gas tank and the filters by the 2 injectors i believe we have enough coverage.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NameChanger said:
Ok, I'm a old carb guy and don't know squat about F.I. I can't find any kind of fuel filter in the manual. Do we have one? If so, where is it? If not, why don't we need one?
I guess I can say my question was answered.

Thank you all

1 - 20 of 23 Posts