Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.....who doesn't like the Dunlop tires and who does??

Personaly, I have tried everything but Mics and I love Dunlops the best. The 208's are better than the 207, and I never found a better tire than the old 205.
I realize bike set up is crucial as well as rider style, but I have been to the track many times and rode hard on the streets and the feed back and performance from the Dunlops are still my favorite.
I have heard alot of you say you don't like them but I want to here the ones that do and also more reasons why you might not like them.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I went with the Pirelli Super Dragon Corsa's from Green Mamba.
There is no comparison IMO.
The Pirelli is a much better performing tire. I feel completely at ease
cranking the big 12 into a curve with the Pirelli's.
With the stock 208's...I felt the grip was not there.

I will not buy another Dunlop, or another 200 series again.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I made the switch to Pirelli's.... But I'll tell you what go mount some Dunlops feel how stiff those boat anchors are and how much they weight..... Sidewall thick enough you couldn't shoot thru... I mount ALOT of tire and handle alot... They are the biggest pain in the ass cause of stiffness no give to them and also consistantly require the most weight....... Believe me I watch..... 1000 better with My new tires.... Oh and my new ones were already used takeoffs.... I going to buy brand new ones in spring..... I used to be able to cruise town dump the clutch a little and breay traction with my Dunslops... I do that now its wheelie time.... Dammit I lack wheelie skills.... :lol:

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Ask how many made the switch to something else and liked it better.....

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
those michelins are pretty sweet. I believe Blitz is running them.

Roy just had his mounted. He says they are possibly a little better
than the Pirelli's for grip.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The BEST mod I made to my bike was to 'trash' the Dumblaps. I using BT-010's and it was like a slap in the face difference. I can't tell you anything about all the other brands... but I'll never put the Dumbies back on my bike ... and never is a long time.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting replies....I am looking for more description though. Like when I tried a different compound or manufacture, I could tell right away the characteristics. Like the profile and how the bike would roll off it's center, or straight line grip, corner grip, feed back, wet weather traction, etc....To me the Dunlop 208, (when warmed properly), will give super traction, and when it loses grip, there not a huge upset, just a nice progressive slide. Metzlers and Bridgetones always felt like it would grip/let go/grip and let go. They were too twitchy and nerving. I prefer a controled slide.
Having never tried Michelins or Pirrellis, I want to here what these brands are like in all conditions. Straight line, corners, wet etc...Some of you definately prefer something else on the strip...understandable too.
Rich...I value your opinion and will take it into concideration, however, your riding experience with grip is more the straight line stuff(no cornering skillzzzz :) ) so I would love to here more with cornering loads applied.
I love this stuff...it's BAM interesting!! :)

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
You are so correct about me.... :lol: :lol: :lol: But heres a couple Pirellis pics.. Note the lean angle, not to bad of Pirelli grip.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is a 1000 GSXR...

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I have not ridden the 208's but the rear on the 207's feel like its always wanting to lose traction to me....... Thats what bothers me about them.... I would rather lose the front than rear......

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Mono - In the rain my D208's did great. They lacked straight line traction. I easily spun them, and I tried varying pressures from 30 psi to 42 psi.

I went with the 180/55, which of course is more crowned,
while the 200 is flat. Since I switched sizes and brands,
it is a combination of both which I feel improved the handling.

I like the tread design on the Pirelli better than the Michelins.

If I had to buy today...It would be Pirelli

·
Registered
279 Posts
208Js

I did 2 track days on my stock 208Js. I had no problem, other than the fact that I had to fight it to lean. I ran one day in the wet, and one day dry. I was setting fast times for my class, but I am not a racer by any means.

I then tried a set of Rennsports. I went down to a 190, and had a ball. Much better track tires, but I will continue to run my 208ZR's on the street. KEEP IN MIND that 208J stockers are not the 208ZR's. The ZR's are a better all around tire. Neither should be confused with the 208GP's which are track use only.

I want a more durable tire because I do a lot of long distance riding, and the skinny walls of some of the more aggressive tires make me nervous.

Lastly, the only thing that I have really noticed about the ZR's is that they need a whole lot of time to warm up, or they can be very unpredictable. J

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Heres my thoughts:

1) The Dunlops were way too throttle slide happy for me. More than once I left a darkie w/o wanting to.
2) The Dunlops sucked on tar snakes. I have never ridden a more squirrely tire on tar snakes in my life.
3) The front tire cupped way too much by the time I had 2500 miles on it.

A side note, having run the 180 on the rear, I would never go back to the 200.

With the Michelin M2 Race Pilots I think its fair to say that the 12 exceeds my expectations in the handling department now.

I have also heard good things about Metzelers.

·
4,208 Posts
I to made the switch from Dunlops.......I orginally had them on my zx-11 and loved them so when they came on my 12 I was exstatic to see them ....I was thrilled at the fact that there was a 200 and I used it to the limit ....(traction in acceleration and handling)......When I had them as Blitz stated I to left many a darkies and feltthe tire was slip happy....when I realized the rear was worn and the front was cupped I opted for Pilots...I opted for 190's and its like nite and day ,.....the darkies still happen but it takes alot more exit speed and the wear is eve across the board ....I may try Dragons next but I will say this the next size will definitely be a 180.........Brian............

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Heres a pic of my stock 200 size 207. You can see how wide the contact patch is now with 2800km's use. It's down to the wear bars now and the bike is not turning into corners very well at all.
I'm going for a 190 Dunlop next, mainly because my dealer threw in one new rear as part of the deal when I bought the bike.
I don't mind the Dunlops too much, but I don't much like the way they wear. When the next rear needs replacing I will be going for a set of something else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts