Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was trying to set up a dyno session at Mr. Turbo in Houston for tomorrow, and they told me I'd have to drop off the bike and get lost, couldn't hang around. Kind of a pain in the ass for me, not like I have anywhere else to go, or anyway to get there if I ride my bike in.

So, I called up another local shop (Honda), and they quoted me a price of $100 per hr. Can you guys tell me how long it should take to nail down a map? Mr. Turbo quoted 3-4 hours, which equated to $150 to $200 at their shop. 3-4 hours at the Honda shop would be double! You think Mr. Turbo is sandbagging a little on their times? Should I just break down and leave my bike there?? I would kinda like to see how it's all done.

Thanks in advance.

</p>

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I had mine mapped at Olathe Suzuki. Same place Richard had his done. They charged $200 for the PC and $250 for the Yosh. They let me watch. Richard and Tony(ZXLNT) were there also. It took about 45 min to an hour.

</p>

·
Registered
759 Posts
Guys, I have had the same problem!!!...I dropped my Red 2000 off and trusted the Bastard to hook my 12 up...Yeah, he hooked my wallet up to his cash register!!!...He didnt spend much time on the 12 at all...

I have been to 3 places and none of them want me to be there when they Dyno either of my 12s!!!...I told them what was happening with the 2500 stumble on the Red12 and told them what I did to try to fix it...One guy looked at me like he didnt know what I was talking about!!!...The others were telling me that they cant commit to a time because they are busy...I told them call me when you are ready and I will be right over...They both said that they dont have the time to wait for me...I told them so by the time I get there you will be finished tunning it???...You had to hear the studdering!!!

I have lost faith in the Dyno guys!!!...As far as I am concerned they are just looking to make a quick 3 large and Jerk you off making you think your bike has the most HorsePower...

You know that he only spends the time on his personal bikes and they run smooth as silk!!!

Good Luck in finding a guy to tune in your presence!!!

CrotchRocket

9.67 @ 146.99...

What would you rather buy? 1 Harley or 2 ZX12s???</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Vinnie,

What about Klaus Speedworks? Its near Bob Lundsfor'd Northwest Honda. I also read where Eximport Cycles now has a Dyno. I think Klaus's dyno is a bit antiquated. ALso try and call Highlands Kawasaki. He was supposed to have one installed.

</p>

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the good suggestions. Scoot, I'm going to give Northwest Honda a try. Hopefully they'll do a good job. While talking to one of the service techs (he did not do the dyno work), he made a comment that they wouldn't have all the proper equipment to do a custom map until after Friday (I think they just became a certified Dynojet facility). He said it was "no problem", because we could just load existing maps until we found one that worked. I said "no thanks". He then spoke with the dyno tech some more, and said "correction, we can do a custom map now". I hope he's not pulling something.

I'll make sure they use the "sniffer". How does it work? It registers the air/fuel ratio, correct? Thru the exaust? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't trust dealers in general and want to be prepared. Kinda like what Crotch Rocket said earlier, most are just out for a quick buck. They did say I could watch though!

"Take two beers and call me in the morning"</p>

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and Scoot, you here in Houston? If so, we need to hook up sometime. I'm doing my best to meet most of the East Texan 12 owners, but got a ways to go.

G

·
0 Posts
Not in Houston but very near Houston. I family that lives there.

Let me know how it goes at Northwest Honda. From my experience in the past, they've always been a little on the "pricey" side. Good thing is: his son is a roadracer and they usually tune a bike pretty good.

I'm a little leary of Eximport though. His bike prices alone (VERY EXPENSIVE) indicates what he'd charge for a session. Plus I don't think they are really "up to speed" on the Dyno thing.

What pipe do you have for your bike?

</p>

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Akra. I have a feeling it will be an expensive tune session as well. Probably $250 - $300+, but Mr. Turbo kinda pissed me off. "Just drop off yer bike and get lost". Ok, so maybe they didn't say it exactly like that...

I'll let you know how they do.

G

·
0 Posts
Vinnie,

When are you going to have it done?
Whats your email? I have something I want you to try.

</p>

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I got my 12 dyno mapped (Full Muzzy, K&Ns, PCIIIr) they let me stand right outside the room and watch. Cost $270 and took almost 4hrs to map the entire rev range. Make sure they use a sniffer too (some actually don't!) When I dynoed my R1 recnently I stayed in the shop and talked with a friend the dyno guy came back and asked why I didn't come to the back to watch!

I'd find another place if I were you. If you'd like email me at [email protected] and tell me how you attempted to fix your 2500rpm stumble and I'll tell you how I fixed mine. I tried to pay someone to dyno it to 3000rpm but he just kept making it worse.

</p>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Vinny --
the reason you are not allowed to be there is because they are going to toss a standard PC map for the 12 in and tweak it for about 15 minutes to iron a few wrinkles out -- then you can come back in 4 hrs and they can charge you 3 hours labor.

Tell them to piss off.

Tainui

</p>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts