Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 ZX12R with approximately 1800 miles on the OD. I have recently upgraded the bike to include a full AKRO, PCIIIR, and the Muzzy Fan kit from Spencers. Shortly after making the upgrades (probably unrelated to the problem), the bike will no longer start with the clutch disengaged even with the bike in neutral and the side-stand up. The engine doesn't crank it simply makes the same kind of whiring sound that is made when you first turn on the key. If you leave the bike in neutral (neutral light is on) and leave the clutch engaged, the bike cranks as normal, starts, and runs normal. So it appears that it behaves exactly opposite as to the way it is suppose to. The only electrical work done on the bike, if you can call it that, is the installation of the Fans and the PCIIIR. So who can someone tell me what is wrong?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I'd check your kickstand sensor switch and the neutral sensor switch. I doubt with only 1800 miles you've had time to accumulate too much crap from the chain on the neutral switch.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
306 Posts
You also might want to check the clutch switch at the clutch lever, if it is sticking it may be causing your problem.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
You are not alone! Mine started doing this same thing today.
The only way it will start is sitting in neutral, with clutch out.
Pull the clutch lever in and it will not start, does not matter if it is in neutral or not.
I'll do some checking and let you know if I figure it out.

02 PMB, 4000 miles

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Someone pull out the service manual and tell me where to start.
Electrical stuff is not my strongest area, I could use the help :wink:

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I have not had a chance to try and figure this out. All I have tried so far was disconnecting the cluch switch, and the bike would not start at all doing that :?

Any ideas would be appreciated....

·
Registered
294 Posts
When my bike did that it eventually quit starting at all. I started at the kickstand switch, took it apart and cleaned it. It still wouldn't start so I pulled the clutch switch (below clutch cables on the bar) cleaned it and it ran afterwards. It seems that it had rattled loose :?: That is all the help I can give.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Here's what the service manual has listed under "Engine Starting Difficulty":
Starter motor not rotatitng:
Starter lock-out switch or nuetral switch trouble
Starter motor trouble
Battery voltage low
Starter relays not contacting or operating
Starter button not contacting
Wiring open or shorted
ignition switch trouble
Engine stop switch trouble
Fuse blown

Hope this helps give you an idea of where to start.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
It appears some can start their bikes in gear while others can not.
I'm a little confused as the manual seems to contradict itself.
I don't know if there is a difference between the years.

I would be interested in what 02 owners have to say.

Here's a discussion between Dave in Daytona and myself....

Dave and Mark Discussion said:
DaveInDaytona

Zone Head
posted October 16, 2002 08:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's working as designed. Look on page 63 of your manual.

"The motorcycle is equipped with a starter lockout switch. This switch prevents the electric starter from operating when the clutch is engaged and the transmission is not in neutral"

I tried it on mine, you can hear the fuel pump run if you pull the clutch and push the starter while in neutral, but it won't crank. Release the clutch and it cranks. There's a starter lockout switch on the clutch lever, it's supposed to do that.

Dave

mwrzx12

Parking Attendant
posted October 16, 2002 09:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But Dave, won't your bike start while in gear with the clutch pulled in?

DaveInDaytona

Zone Head
posted October 16, 2002 09:41 AM

quote:
But Dave, won't your bike start while in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Just went out to try it to make sure. No.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that the safety feature should work as you described. The situation I described is one in which the bike will only crank when the bike is in neutral with the clutch out. Pull in the clutch while in neutral and it is a no go. Put the bike in gear pull in the clutch and it is still a no go. I should also mention that the side stand is up during these tests.

I was hoping that someone out there was knowledgeable enought in this area to pin point the problem as I had just as soon fix it myself if the fix is not too expensive. It appears to me that it problem is with the neutral sensor. While the bike is actually in neutral and the instrument cluster neutral light is glowing green, the circuitry that relays the fact to the starter circuits is somehow misinformed and it believes that the bike is in gear.

·
Registered
889 Posts
TXTHUD said:
I agree that the safety feature should work as you described. The situation I described is one in which the bike will only crank when the bike is in neutral with the clutch out. Pull in the clutch while in neutral and it is a no go. Put the bike in gear pull in the clutch and it is still a no go. I should also mention that the side stand is up during these tests.

I was hoping that someone out there was knowledgeable enought in this area to pin point the problem as I had just as soon fix it myself if the fix is not too expensive. It appears to me that it problem is with the neutral sensor. While the bike is actually in neutral and the instrument cluster neutral light is glowing green, the circuitry that relays the fact to the starter circuits is somehow misinformed and it believes that the bike is in gear.
You sound as if you're on the right track...keep us informed of your results.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
I'm going to try this when I get home.....

Dave and Mark said:
DaveInDaytona

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2002 10:47 AM
Well it just so happens that there are a bunch of people from Kawasaki in town, with a bunch of new Kawasakis. I think I'll swing by and see if any of them know anything. I doubt the "expert" is there but they might know how to contact the person who can tell us what's normal operation.

Dave

DaveInDaytona

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2002 11:43 AM Edited By: DaveInDaytona on 17 Oct 2002 08:44
OK, I stand corrected. Some of what I said is true, the other part I'm writing off to me not understanding your question.

I talked to Kawasaki a few minutes ago and described the problem. I was told to look at the clutch switch because it sounded to him (a 12 rider that had the same issue recently) like the switch had dirt in it. If you're comfortable doing it you can take it off and pull it apart to check it, it needs to be fully extended to make contact. If you don't want to pull it apart and want to try a quick fix, do this. Pull the clutch lever in and hold it. Take a small flat blade screwdriver and depress the clutch switch all the way in, when it's all the way in let it pop back out. Do that a few times and I'll bet it will be working ok again.

Dave

DaveInDaytona

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2002 11:47 AM
Oh, I did my "quick fix" and it worked for me. I can now start it in gear with the clutch pulled.

Dave

mwrzx12

Parking Attendant
posted October 17, 2002 11:52 AM
I'll try that Dave. I have disconnected mine under the clutch lever and did not notice any dirt inside the connection. I'll recheck and clean very good tonight and let you know if it fixes mine as well.
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Further clarification...

Dave and Mark said:
DaveInDaytona

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2002 11:59 AM
It's not the connector part but inside the switch that seems to have the problem. Must be dirt getting in where the pin that touches the lever comes out. The switch can be popped open to see if you're up to taking it off and apart but that's more than some people want to do. With the wire off the switch it acts just like the clutch is out.

Have fun,

Dave

mwrzx12

Parking Attendant
posted October 17, 2002 12:03 PM
OK. Now that makes sense. It was clean where it connected together. I'll try your "quick fix" first. Maybe a little dirt or something got inside the switch.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Per Dave in Daytona's suggestion I did this....

Hold the clutch handle in. Take a flat tip screwdriver and depress the the button on the starter lockout switch (it is located on the bottom side of the clutch lever), now slide the screwdriver off the button and it will snap back out. I did this maybe five times.

Now the bike starts like it is supposed to. I don't know if there is a little dirt or moisture, but something was causing that little button to malfunction. But Dave's "quick fix" worked perfectly.

Many thanks to Dave for all his help in what turned out to be a simple solution to this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suggested Fix Works!

I finally had time to try the aforementioned repair. I took a can of compresser air and blew it in the clutch lever switch and pushed in and released it a couple of times and shazam all works as designed!

Thanks....l.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts