Kawasaki World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about a 4 stroke exhaust system, and what effect different end cans/mufflers have on the complete system. I know that on two strokes, all the work is done in the pipe or more properly said, the expansion chamber and stinger. Two stroke mufflers have little effect on how the pipe works. My question is what effect does it have on 4 strokes?? I would like to keep my Micron Serpant headers (wrapped), but install a different end can. Could it be as simple as measuering the mid pipe o.d. and the length of the original muffler, and then matching it to another end can manufacturer?? I hate the Micron muffler. it needs rebuilding already and the rubber gaskets sealing the wrap on both ends, is starting to rip apart due to the heat. Most of which might be caused by my wrapped headers and the extra heat it sends back to the can.
I am contacting Micron on this but still want something different.

G

·
0 Posts
You maybe right about the wrapping/heat cause of your problem. I am
also running a MICRON system(unwrapped),but I have no problem.I
was thinking about wrapping but maybe not now?What muffler do
you have on it. Mine is a ti oval race muffler.I don't know what effect
swapping cans/headers would have. :?

If you're not breakin' the law you're not riding!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
End can won't make that much of a difference unless you get one of the "street baffles" and even then, not much. Most of the power is in the size of the down tubes and the shape of the collector.

Micron coming apart huh? That sux. My friend has a carbon fiber micron on his gixxer and no problems. Sounds like the wrap may be the culprit. Damn Ron, you sure have a lot of exhaust problems. Maybe Micron will fix it since it is so new I would hope.

How's that map working for you?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
psycho....I have the polished stainless oval race. I am not crazy about how Micron uses rubber gaskets to seal the outside wrap of the muffler, but the rest of the system is a great product. If it wasn't for the bike being run over and the can getting a few boo-boo's, then I would send it back to Micron, but i doubt they will take it now. I'll be calling the first of the week though.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin(workman)...I knew I could count on you for some info on this subject..thanks man. :) I am very happy with the Micron performance and look. My only complaint is sound and the can coming apart. Never really liked the tone when it was new, and no-one liked riding behind me...just ask Tainui, Epstein, RC51, or Native... :lol:
The map you sent is working great. Developed a bit of a dead spot though in the mid range..around 6 to 7,000 rpm's. Alot less popping on decel too. I think with a little more back preasure, some of the girgle and slight popping will disapear..that and losing the clean air.
So...you think a different can won't change a thing if I keep simular back preasures and proper o.d. on the inlet??

G

·
0 Posts
Hey BAMmono12r, you really wanna lose that kleen air crap, I was getting
alot of popping on decel aswell, but not anymore, clean as.
Just fit a length of pipe between the 2 rubber elbows where the kleen
canister is, block off the air box pipe/hole and put a bung in the wee
rubber hose that is left over after the removal of the canister.
Hey what is the map you were talking about ,a custom micron?
I'm running the dj micron map and aren't real happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts