Kawasaki World banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the starter motor out the other day, cleaned it up etc.
Put it back on the engine, tried starting it and all it would do is "spin" with a fast grating noise, like it wasn't connected with the crank gear.

Tried refitting it to the engine a few times, pulled it apart a few times. Then did the staring at it and pictures in the manual for a long time.
Slowly the cogs in my brain began to turn and create a small spark of recognition...."something wrong with this picture".

Ah Hah!

The end cap of the starter motor that fits into the crank case hole had snapped off, and lodged in the crank case hole!
Time for another starter motor, if I can't find just the end cap.

Light Gas Auto part Machine Engineering

Sports equipment Wood Exercise equipment Gas Machine

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I bought one off eBay that had the same damage and used the end cap off a spare zx-9r C, E, or F, and it worked a treat. ZX-9R ones are more common to find.
Be aware that the armatures are different so don't get them mixed up.
Font Art Auto part Metal Gun accessory
Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine Post-it note

·
Registered
350 Posts
Took the starter motor out the other day, cleaned it up etc.
Put it back on the engine, tried starting it and all it would do is "spin" with a fast grating noise, like it wasn't connected with the crank gear.

Tried refitting it to the engine a few times, pulled it apart a few times. Then did the staring at it and pictures in the manual for a long time.
Slowly the cogs in my brain began to turn and create a small spark of recognition...."something wrong with this picture".

Ah Hah!

The end cap of the starter motor that fits into the crank case hole had snapped off, and lodged in the crank case hole!
Time for another starter motor, if I can't find just the end cap.

View attachment 17667

View attachment 17666
I like the staring at it statement....lol...I've done that many of times....but glad you got it figured out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts