Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a very strange problem and hopefully someone have the answer.
My engine just won't start, I have checked everything I know of. I have spark and I have fuel, I have measured all my sensors and checked the cam chain position and its all ok. The engine fire on all cylinders, or at least get worm on the exhaust pipes, but it just won't start not even with start gas. It's just like the cam chain is a few tooth wrong or the timing is way off but I have checked it all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Japp, it primes and pumps when I crank it. I even looked down the trumpets and checked the injectors, and there's a nice fog of fuel each stroke.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My thoughts would be:
Check fuel pump is working
Check neutral light is on
Check plugs for any fouling not just spark
Battery charged enough to turn over but not enough to start
Unplug and plug back in tps

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If it is not turning over, try leaving the clutch lever out!
The clutch switch is renown for sticking in the wrong state and only allowing the engine to start when out rather than in.
If that's it, strip it, clean it and all will be well again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't tried with clutch out actually but the rest is all ok, new battery, new spark plugs and pump works and I have checked the fuel pressure. But sense I have spark and it fires and shoots nice fireballs out the exhaust, I just can't understand why it won't start.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Haven't tried with clutch out actually but the rest is all ok, new battery, new spark plugs and pump works and I have checked the fuel pressure. But sense I have spark and it fires and shoots nice fireballs out the exhaust, I just can't understand why it won't start.
It's not the clutch switch then, that kills it totally.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is the FI light flashing or giving you any codes?
Have you disturbed the tilt sensor (on rear subframe, right side)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Fl don't show anything but I think the tilt sensor have bin on because I bought a crashed bike and have changed and fixed everything that was bad, even the hole electrical wiring is new except for the battery box and all in it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just thought tilt sensor too, possibly and air flow problem? Either that or an electrical fault not allowing enough power to get start up rpm?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Whoooaaaaa now. It's shooting fireballs out the exhaust?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Timing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I exaggerated a bit about the fireballs, it's more like a little puff. And the timing was my first guess to but sense the timing can't be changed that leaves the cams, but they line up perfect against the crankshaft.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lets try this again...

1) has it run before?
2) if it has run before, what did you change?
3) if you changed something, did you mess that thing up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry was a little frustrated about the engine not start so forgot to tell the hole story. The engine is from a crashed bike with a hole in the stator cover resulting in crank shaft bearing failure. The bearing is all new, the main bearings were all fine so didn't do anything with them so I never lifted the top off. The engine sits now in my super seven car with a new original main harness and sensors from a 2000 bike but the engine is from 2002, but I can't see why that should be a problem. The ECU is also from a 2000 bike and what I said I got spark and fuel and that should be enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aha, thanks. I will check up the part nr. on all sensors and se which ones differ from the -00 to -02. The sensors on the engine are all from a 02 model while the harness and ECU is a -00.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That helps a lot.

If I remember right, the cams need to be re-indexed for the 02 model for the ECM to "read" it properly in the 00 ECM. The info for that is around here somewhere in a thread, and yep, it's a thread from KZScott.

So...in way, it's still.....timing.

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts