Kawasaki World banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
And yes the timing can be altered many ways on these bikes. The 2 most popular ways are filing the eyes on the pickup coil, and a 4 degree advancer. Less common is via PC3R or Ignition Module. Next in line is ECM flash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks a lot every one, could never find it with out you're help.
So if I got it right I have two options, buy another main harness and a ECU from a -01 or newer bike or retiming the cams.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My guess is this bike being mix and match, do the cam first. Like the other thread said about "hall" sensor, he meant hall effect. So hall effect needs to be phased in. It reads a count, wants to start, has gas/spark and all that, but the phasing is out so the hall effect is down the hallway, not at the front door.

So the cam timing stays the same, the ignition stays the same. All the arrow does is swipe the initial 8 count and off she fires. Then, the count keeps sending in the hall effect and she keeps running.

That means, yes my harness is one to clear, my ECU sends spark, sends fuel. I built this engine all mixed and match is an out of phase year is the cam arrow phaser as the first variable you eliminate the harness, the ECU, compression, etc.

Now it runs. So you now find the bike is mapped differently with the original arrow position. Either change the tune, see the tune is close enough, or change the ECU to said phased arrow position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wohoooo, just replaced the cam position sprocket and it started on first try, she spins like a cat.
Once again, thanks a lot for the help guys.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry was a little frustrated about the engine not start so forgot to tell the hole story. The engine is from a crashed bike with a hole in the stator cover resulting in crank shaft bearing failure. The bearing is all new, the main bearings were all fine so didn't do anything with them so I never lifted the top off. The engine sits now in my super seven car with a new original main harness and sensors from a 2000 bike but the engine is from 2002, but I can't see why that should be a problem. The ECU is also from a 2000 bike and what I said I got spark and fuel and that should be enough.
I know it's a while back now but I'm trawling through the forum looking for something and came across this, timing nok on the cam is at a different angle. I had exactly the same problem putting a 2001 engine into my 2000 bike.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts