Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my wife and I took the pmb 12 to one of the local "low class" eating establishments. In the motorcycle paking area (sign says harley parking) there was only one other bike. I was some kinda harley, wild yellow paint job,massive 250 rear tire. I dont know much about harleys but I knew this was something diffrent. We got a table on the deck overlooking the bikes when I overheard converesation at the table next to us, it was the owner. he was freakin huge,tank top,chili bowl helmet ect. Soon after we arrived his drunken wife arrived in a matching yellow late model vette and was soon running her mouth about that f____ing rice rocket parked out there.
I finally got the courage to say to the guy "nice Harley" he rersponded "it aint a harley,its a Big Dog."
So I aksed what kinda motor, he said " Its an S&S this with a stroked and bored that over sized this and that bla bla bla."
I quickly asked my wife,see how much cash you got. We counted about $150 in cash between us. There is a very lightly used stretch of interstate right next to the restraunt. My adrenelin was pumping , I wanted to smoke his ass soo badly. i started asking him how fast it was and he started getting annoyed, turned around,looked me in the face and said "listen dude,if I wanted a fast bike i would have bought one just like yours." I guess he wasnt as dumb as he looked !

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
lol......yeah the "Big Dogs" are all about image, looks fast but thats about it... LOOKS......If I remember correctly I think they start at around $25,000 and that is for a stripped out model... Around here we have a couple places that bikes go to during the summer it is called "Quaker Steak and Lube" they are a resuraunt chain with a huge parking lot.. Every Wens night starting around 6 pm bike start rolling in for their "Bike Night" theme at the resuraunt....The parking lot is closed off to cages and is a bike only entrance....During a few of these nights I sported the 12 up there and saw alot of those "Big Dogs" around....also saw alot of attitudes with those "Big Dogs", especially the ones with NOS on em.....they are a sweet looking bike, but for the price.....no thanks !!!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats it ynot !! I never considered him having nitros. If so could he have outrun me??? I would have had to sold my house and move to a diffrent state...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
If so could he have outrun me???
Good question... Even w/NOS I can't see that going over 175-180... Maybe Rich will get a sniff of NOS in this thread and answer that...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No on top speed,,,Illl bet at 140 his chilli bowl helmet would blow off of his head !

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
:lol: Nothing here about Hp or performance....

I’ve got to hand it to them. The crew at Big Dog Motorcycles sure know how to build bikes and throw a party! In the April 2001 issue of AIM, I told you about Big Dog’s 2001 new bike launch, which was held in Lake Tahoe, and how much fun the event was. I also told you about the ProSport I test-rode at the time. Well, the 2002 launch was held in Sedona, which is located on the high desert of Arizona. Man, what a great place for riding bikes! The event and surrounding landscape were all top-shelf, which is a fitting backdrop for Big Dog’s quality lineup of machines.

This time around I got to ride an old favorite of mine, the Pitbull. I originally reviewed this model back in the March 1998 issue of AIM. I like the bike a lot then, and I was happy to see that it’s even better now. Big Dog has made a number of changes to the breed for 2002, with the biggest one being a 250-series rear tire! Those of you who know what it’s like to ride a hardtail will appreciate it when I say that the 250 not only looks great, but it also helps to smooth out the 605-pound (wet) Pitbull’s ride a bit. But before I get into the bike’s chassis, I’d like to tell you a little about the powertrain.

A 107" engine is Big Dog’s favorite displacement because it gives its owner all the benefits of a 4" bore motor, such as a wide powerband filled with lots of torque, combined with a moderate 4-1/4" stroke, which is the same as a stock Evo’s. The Pitbull is fitted with an S&S 107" assembled by the engine team at Big Dog (BDM). Fuel is fed to the beast via an S&S Super G carb, while a single-fire electronic ignition fires it off. A 2-into-1 Kerker takes care of dispensing the exhaust fumes. There are a number of other performance parts in the engine, but instead of going through them here, I’ll just let you check out the accompanying Tech Sheet.

The bike’s five speed tranny is BDM-built using a TP Engineering case filled with Andres close-ratio gears and shafts, which are made of aircraft-grade high-nickel alloys and steels. These gears also have lead-in ramps for easier shifting, which was evident during my two days of riding.

Connecting the engine and transmission is a chain-driven, wet primary system. Big Dog uses a wet primary because BDM believes it offers "superior durability, lower heat build-up and a longer life span," to quote the manufacturer’s web site. A Rivera Pro-Clutch transmits the engine’s power from the chain to the tranny and gave me smooth, positive engagements and releases, even when I was running through the gears hard. This clutch was over 90 percent more surface area than a stock clutch setup, which is why it holds the 107’s torque with ease. This all spins inside a pair of chrome primary covers.

This power plant resides inside a new Daytec 250 rigid frame, which has 2" of rear stretch and 35 degrees of rake up front. Holding up the rear end of the frame is a Weld Wheel polished billet aluminum 8.50/18", which is connected to the five-speed gearbox by a rear belt drive and matching Weld Wheel billet aluminum pulley. A matching Performance Machine rear disc and four-piston caliper provide plenty of stopping power for the rear wheel’s huge 250 Avon. A new Shorty BDM steel rear fender with new curved struts covers the whole deal nicely, as you can see in the photos. Atop the fender sits a seat that’s made just for Big Dog by Corbin. A BDM License bracket and taillight keep things legal.

The front of the frame is supported by a pair of conventional 41mm telescopic front forks, which are held together by a set of triple trees that have 4 degrees of additional rake. Add that to the frame’s 35 degrees and you get a total of 39 degrees of rake, which, by the way, handled the curves around Sedona very well. A matching Weld Wheel 2.15/21" up front wrapped with a 90/21" Avon and covered by a BDM front fender keeps things rolling along until the matching Performance Machine brake disc is squeezed by the bike’s PM four-piston front brake caliper. All this five the bike a 72.75" wheelbase, 5.5" of ground clearance, and a 24" seat height.

This front end is topped with a set of pullback T-bar with integral risers from CycleSmith, OEM-style mirrors, and CCI hand controls. A Headwinds headlight takes care of forward lighting.

Sitting above the engine is a set of BDM five-gallon Fat Bob fuel tanks fitted with BDM’s own dash and speedo setup. A Daytec three-quart tank feeds the engine oil. The polished forward controls are also BDM units, as are the foot pegs.

It’s always a pleasure to ride Big Dog bike because they are always top-shelf machines. The fit and finish, chrome and polish on my test bike were up to Big Dog’s normal high standards. (The bike I tested, which you see here, had custom paint on it, which is an additional fee, as you’ll see in the Tech Sheet.) Ditto for the way the engine fired up and ran: always strong and crisp. Though when we went to Jerome for the day, the higher altitudes made the bike run too rich, which is normal seeing we went up in altitude quite a bit. Running through the hills along curving roads, or jammin’ down the straight highways at 80-85 per was great and the bike handled very well at all speeds. And that fat 250 helped to smooth out whatever bumps the rigid rear section encountered. In fact, though the engine and tranny are offset to the left to clear the rear tire, the bike did not have a tendency to drop to the left on its own. All in all, I was very happy with the Pitbull and found it to be on par with the other bikes I’ve test of Big Dog’s fleet.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
The guy made a good point!! Just because it's a big V-Twin, doesn't mean it's a Harley. Alot of other manufactures out there now building better, more appealing bikes than Harley. If I had the money to drop, I'd definetly go that route than buy a Harley. Something with and S&S or a Nigel Patrick motor. Hard to justify what they get for them, but then again there's not 10,000 of them running around.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Theres like 3 Denver Broncos that ride Big Dawgs here.

You gotta be one big mother to ride one, because they are humongous.

They have unique styling, to say the least... I'm not sure I like the thought of a Chevy V-8 sitting between my legs, the engine alone wieghs more than a complete zx12......

·
4,208 Posts
The Chevy 350's are Boss Hoss Blitz..........same concept just crappppppppppppppppppppppppppp

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Boss Hoss is what I was referring to then!

Hey brother Epstein? Your avatar is really giving my laptop fits, man. Every post you do I can only see about 2" of the actual thread....

I'll cook you a big fat steak up at the Black Hills if you make it smaller!!!

Pretty Please?

·
Registered
619 Posts
F.Y.I. THE PATRICK MOTOR(MY FAVORITE),THE SS,REV TECH,MERCH,ECT.ECT.......ARE ALL HARLEY EVO BASED MOTOR DESIGNS. SOME OF THE MORE SERIOUS MOTOR MANUFACTURERS (NIGEL PATRICK)HAVE COMPLETELY REWORKED THE DESIGN WITH NO GENUINE H-D PARTS........BUT,BOTTOM LINE IS .......ITS A HARLEY MOTOR. :) CW

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
CW98CI said:
F.Y.I. THE PATRICK MOTOR(MY FAVORITE),THE SS,REV TECH,MERCH,ECT.ECT.......ARE ALL HARLEY EVO BASED MOTOR DESIGNS. SOME OF THE MORE SERIOUS MOTOR MANUFACTURERS (NIGEL PATRICK)HAVE COMPLETELY REWORKED THE DESIGN WITH NO GENUINE H-D PARTS........BUT,BOTTOM LINE IS .......ITS A HARLEY MOTOR. :) CW
I agree its a 60 degree V Twin, but I'm sure some of the builders would argue that it's a Harley motor. 8) Remember this is the same company that tried to patent the potateo patateo sound. I'm not for sure that they have the patent on a 60 degree. They might, I don't know!!

·
4,208 Posts
How's Dat BLITZ???????You asked for it.........hehe........

G

·
0 Posts
I've run one for a short blast once. The owner is a nice guy I met at a
bike rally this summer. He was telling me how he hung with one of those
really fast Suzuki's at a red light from 0-100 before the guy started pulling
off. The guy didn't know exactly what bike he raced, he just said he was
pretty sure it was the fastest one. :) Anyway, when he left the rally, so
did I. I think he knew what I wanted. When we hit a clear spot he moved
to the right and I seen him look in his rear view. I hit second gear at
about 50 mph and pull up beside him. He roll's on the throttle and about
the time I let off. I hit it again with the fork's compressed and lift front
wheel. I rode it the best I could and set it down about a bike length in
front of the big dog. Hit 3rd and look in my mirror's and the Big Dog had
quit. Those bike's are fast, but easy work for most sportbike's. It
take a 12 to outrun one.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I know two people around here with $35,000.00 Titan motorcycles and they both think the thing is still a Harley. Sorry....theres not a freeking part on those bikes that Harley made. Having a V- twin shoved into a raked out steal frame does not give it the Harley name.
Paten the exhaust note.....THAT WAS A JOKE. :lol: :lol: Suprised they didn't try to pattern the V twin layout and lay claims to being the first v twin , like most Harley owners claim. Too bad their not educated in the history of the motorcycle. Indian was indeed the first to "produce"/"manufacture" the V twin.
Regardless though, these after market custom cruisers sure look good. If I ever got into that type thing, I would probably spend the extra coin and get a custom.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I have a friend with a 113 c.i. Big Dog with twin Mikuni's. (one mean lookin' mofo) He has'nt had it dyno'ed yet. We wants to hook up and do the 'king of the hill' run. I told him I would kick his ass.... with my Sporty let alone my 12R. That pissed him... he's gunnin' for me!!
We'll do it soon, but since they passed that new law here in Florida about street racing is now a CRIME, we will have to watch these runs from light to light. The law will take you before the judge and he will say............"Bailiff!!! Wack his pee pee!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Namechanger....you shouldn't have any problems winning that race. My best friend has a Custom FLH with a 100ci S&S . The thing put out 105hp. I raced him and it was a complete joke. He couldn't believe it how much faster mine was. I said hey...upgrade to the 120ci, then it won't look quite as bad. :D

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Mono, this fellow had a highly modified Heritage HD... spent plenty on that machine to make it 'bad'. I got tired of his 'talk' so I took him out to our little back woods drag strip and flat out cleaned his clock 4 times with my Sporty. Now I'm not talkin' about a couple of feet... I'm talking about 'where's did he go'! Pissed him off so much.... he sold the bike.

Now my Sporty is fast! It's so easy to launch... it might get my 12 the first few feet, the power of the 12 is slightly harder to control on a good launch :shock: .. BUT after that.... C-YA! I wouldn't mind trying a good drag tire on the 12 just for the hell of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts