Kawasaki World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know the torque value for the exhaust nuts? I don't see it listed in the service manual... Is it shown here as "exhaust pipe holder studs"? ...with no value listed?
Looked online and have found everything from 13 ft/lbs to 69 ft/lbs...
I know it's not a critical value, and many just say "tighten the shit out of it"...but I'd rather not over-tighten and snap off a stud.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The reason theres no torque setting given is because there is a crush washer in there.
Now looking through the B service manual, there is also a crush washer when attaching the standard exhaust can, and the torque setting for those bolts is 34Nm.

Do each a bit at a time and see what feels comfortable.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Just hand tight with a standard 3/8" ratchet. Don't use a breaker bar, don't torque it, just tighten it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Use copper spray to make it stick and a long reach lighter. A breaker bar, without a 6ft cheater pipe attached is just another breaker bar.

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...
Can anyone post pics matching this one just so I can compare gaps? THANKS!

I did replace the crush washer and using a 3/8 torque wrench, with a 10" extension and a swivel socket. The setting on the wrench is 20ftlb - but I know this is affected (lessened) by the extension and swivel. (for comparison, 20ftlb is the same torque used to secure the brake rotors to the wheels)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hope this helps speaking of torque settings i had a Yamaha R1 1998 the first model made (dam I miss that bike) anyway the service manual had the wrong torque setting for the sump plug and with an alloy sump I as did many striped the thread in the sump lucky it was an easy fix but still a PITA Good luck you are almost finished now Craig

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts